Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nasty nappy rash/excema on LO's genitals

(6 Posts)
lyndyloo Sat 14-Jul-07 20:44:40

Lo suffers from excema. It is pretty much in control on her body and face at present but has recently flared up on genitals. At first thought it was nappy rash (she is 1) but too high up as previous experience was that it was nearer the anus then genitals. Took to docs who said excema and gave me mild hydrocortisone. This usually works on her body but has failed to work on this rash.

Today looked more like nappy rash as bright red whereas previously has been more like excema. She doesn't scratch it - so maybe it isn't? Not sure if it's sore or not - she cries when we change her nappy anyway as doesn't like it.

Any ideas? Sudocrem hasn't worked nor has the hydrocortisone. Am wondering if she has developed an allergy to either her nappies or wipes. Up til now has been fine with them but wondering if should change to Naturecare or whatever.

Anyone had similar experience. Taking her back to docs on Monday.

TheArmadillo Sat 14-Jul-07 20:52:03

ds hasn't got excema but has developed a similar nappy rash. We think he has developed an allergy to wipes.

Told by dr to use salt water and cotton wool, to dry him thoroughly when clean and to apply thick layers of sudocreme.

The sudocreme wasn't doing anything by itself but once we stopped using wipes and were drying him thoroughly before applying it it really has helped. My sister used a wipe on him by accident though and it flared up appallingly again.

Taking back to drs is good idea to check it hasn't got infected.

Furball Sat 14-Jul-07 20:52:42

try wiping her with jusy cotton wool and water til it's cleared up. Have you tried canesten or similar?

TheArmadillo Sat 14-Jul-07 20:52:57

dr said with sudocreme it was the zinc in it and if it didn't clear up then he would proscribe one with higher level of zinc in it.

EscapeFrom Sat 14-Jul-07 20:54:10

Is it weepy? Does she try to scratch it? It could be thrush

EscapeFrom Sat 14-Jul-07 20:55:26

I find the only wipes I can use are Pamper's Extortionate Sensitive, or Huggies Frighteningly Expensive Pure. Any others take the skin off his arras.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now