Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anybody got any experience of injured teeth in children????

(16 Posts)
cba Sat 14-Jul-07 18:37:46

About two weeks ago my ds2 collided into ds1 at a soft play party. His lip was swollen, we put ice on. The day after the underneath of the lip was bruised along with the gum line. This morning i have noticed that the two front teeth have a slight blue tinge to them.

Is he going to loose these teeth, are they dead? I am going to go to the dentist on Monday, but I feel so bad as I maybe should have taken him before now.

Anybody been through the same?

Any dentists out there?

ahundredtimeturners Sat 14-Jul-07 18:41:01

Not a dentist, but ds2 did something a bit like this, except he knocked a front tooth right up into the gum and I pulled it back down. It did change colour, first blue then brown, then dead really.

Are they his milk teeth?

PersonalHouseElf Sat 14-Jul-07 18:41:17

Ds headbutted a wall at 2.6 years and his front inscisor went a funny yellow/green.
My dentist said that it was just the blood supply got a bit disrupted and changed the tooth.
It would have been fine if ds didn't smash it out a year later.
It should be fine but a good idea to check with your dentist.

WendyWeber Sat 14-Jul-07 18:41:41

How old is he, cba?

NAB3 Sat 14-Jul-07 18:43:25

My son fell off his bike last summer and it took ages to ring round all the dentists in the book to find one who would see him. They all go home at 1pm on a Friday. His teeth was knocked sideways and now has a yellow tinge to it. Still no sign of it coming out though. Worse case, his next teeth could have white spots on them but a friend's sister did a similar thing but much worse and her next teeth were all okay. It is always best to see a dentist asap after a bad knock but it is done now and hopefully you will get some reassurance on Monday.

suezee Sat 14-Jul-07 18:43:49

myy dd tripped while holding a cup at about 19 months old and she knocked her two front teeth,she ended up having to have them taken out when she was 3 because they died and she started suffering from abcesses because of them

ahundredtimeturners Sat 14-Jul-07 18:45:40

Yes ds2 got an abcess under this damaged tooth. Worst case I think is that the next adult tooth is mottled, and might need to be replaced.

But did he 'move' his teeth when he banged them?

WendyWeber Sat 14-Jul-07 18:47:06

FWIW DS1 had a major accident with his adult front teeth aged about 8. One lost all sensation, so technically dead, and one didn't, but they are both still very strong and sound and at 18 he had them both veneered (mostly because the bottoms were chipped, the teeth were still tooth-coloured)

cba Sat 14-Jul-07 18:48:01

oh, my ds2 is four, they teeth didnt move. I checked. But I just feel so bad now, that i didnt go earlier. A friend of mine who is a gp said the dentist would not have been able to do anything if the tooth was going to "die". She might just be trying to make me feel better.

ahundredtimeturners Sat 14-Jul-07 18:49:30

No I did lots of hand-wringing with the dentist - given my DIY job on ds2's teeth - and they said the same. Sure is the case. Have you been to a dentist then? They might not die?

suezee Sat 14-Jul-07 18:50:15

no shes right they really cant do anything but do regular check ups on him, my dds teeth didnt really move tho so i would deffo go to the the dentist when u can

WendyWeber Sat 14-Jul-07 18:51:24

No, she's right, they can't - if the tooth stays put that's good, and even if it is dead there's nothing they can do (eg to prevent abcess).

At 4 it won't be that long before they fall out anyway so fingers crossed the gums stay healthy

cba Sat 14-Jul-07 18:52:16

thanks everyone, I will definately phone the dentist on Monday. Just hope I can get in straight away.

cba Sat 14-Jul-07 18:53:39

wnedy, that is what I thought, if they fall out wont be that long untill he gets his big teeth. But, ds1 is 6.9 and he has only lost two teeth so far, he is most upset as most of his friend are really gummy and he isnt. He seems to loose one then get the big tooth straight away.

mamimwnci Sat 14-Jul-07 18:56:05

My dd fell front teeth first into a wall in the house when she was 2 1/2 ish. Over a little time one of her top front teeth went a blue/grey colour.

The dentist said it was bruised but to leave it alone as it wasn't a problem to her.

However around 5 mths after that dentist app we noticed that she had developed an ulcer on the gum above the bruised tooth. We were advised to keep an eye on it and see if it went away.

It didn't and the dentist said it was bad for her general health to have a constant infection in her mouth. Therefore it had to come out!

As she was so small they wouldn't put her under completely so she had to have 3 injections in her gum before the tooth was twisted and pulled out. This was only amonth ago, she was only 3 1/2, poor little thing, but I think she handeled it better than me!! I had the dental nurse with her arm around me when I cried!!

Anyway all is fine now, she'll just have a gap in her teeth till the new one comes down, poss not till she's 5 or 6. But to be honest she is a lot less self concious of her gap than her 'blue tooth' as she used to call it.

The dentist said that her next tooth could come through mottled or discoloured but we'll just have to wait and see.

hifi Sat 14-Jul-07 19:27:13

junior mag has an article on this this month

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now