Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

4 yr old ds with headache, rash and temp

(12 Posts)
nutcracker Sat 14-Jul-07 18:24:40

He woke me up this morning saying he had a headache and his arms ached. He got into bed with me and went to sleep, woke up about 8:30 and still had a headache and was then also hot. Gave him Calprofen which took a while to work but eventually he cooled down and headache went.

However, headache keeps returning as does temp and he has a slight red rash (like heat rash) on his belly.

Does this sound like a virus currently doing the rounds ?

nutcracker Sat 14-Jul-07 18:25:32

Oh and he fell asleep on my lap about 4:45, woke up again about 5pm and fell straight back to sleep again.

He has just had 3rd dose of calprofen.

Slubberdegullion Sat 14-Jul-07 18:26:15

Yes. Do the glass test, but sounds like a virus.

nutcracker Sat 14-Jul-07 18:28:48

I think the rash goes when under the glass, bit hard to say as it's a bit mottly.

He is rousable anyway, just asked him if he still has a headache and he said yes.

Slubberdegullion Sat 14-Jul-07 18:37:05

Have just spoken with DH (a GP), he says if you are at all concerned that the rash is not blanching then go to see your out of hours GP (or A&E if your ds has a raging fever, severe headache, is lethargic).

A meningitis/septicemia rash will be purple and look like a bruise. Another way to test if it blanches is to press your finger on it (quite firmly) and then run your finger across the skin. You should see a blanche and then the colour returning. If not call doctors.

Oh are you using calpol and neurofen. Can do both. Good for reducing temp & headache.

HTH

nutcracker Sat 14-Jul-07 19:05:22

Thankyou Slubber, that was kind of you to run it by your DH

Ds is awake now and a bit more alert. I think the meds have kicked in as he said his headache has gone and he is a bit cooler. The rash does blanch when I press it.

Slubberdegullion Sat 14-Jul-07 19:06:58

. Keep monitoring but sounds like it's one of those 'going around' bugs. Hope you have a peaceful night!

nutcracker Sun 15-Jul-07 09:59:04

He woke me up at about 4 this morning crying that his head still hurt, and he was roasting hot again. I dosed him back up, but it took him ages to drop back off to sleep because he head hurt too much.

Anyway, eventually he did drop off, and woke again about 8:30 and looked alot better, said his head was ok. Only thing is he has spots on his cheeks now, like proper little pimples, about 3 on each cheek but non anywhere else.

WigWamBam Sun 15-Jul-07 10:19:10

Dd had a virus very like that a couple of weeks ago - was ill for about 5 days. Headache, fever, slight rash on her tummy and back, achy limbs - she felt nauseous, and vomited a couple of times too. Most of the children in her class have had it now.

Hope he feels better soon, nutty.

nutcracker Sun 15-Jul-07 10:20:28

Oh sounds very similar wwb. Hope he is better soon, it is his last 2 days ever at nursery this week, hope he can at least go to the last one.

cheechymunchy Sun 15-Jul-07 10:44:04

Nutcracker - this sounds just like me a couple of weeks ago. DS (2.5) started vomiting with very high fever and rash (sort of red all over, like sunburn), After 2 days I couldn't get the temperature to drop from 39.4 and he developed blood blisters on his neck and under arms. Took him to GP who called ambulance because of blisters. 7 hours in hospital under observation, and although the blisters wouldn't blanch when pressed, they weren't large enough and his deterioration wasn't fast enough to be the horrid M word. He was discharged when the temperature started to drop, although it took another 2 days before his colour went back to normal. Paediatician said it was a particularly bad virus that caused him to swell, vomit and get a fever.

It was also his last day at nursery when he was admitted. Very kindly, the nursery said that providing he was better by the Monday, he could have his last day then, for "free", if you like.

Smithy Sun 15-Jul-07 22:18:25

DS1 has had headache and achy limbs since Friday. Also got temperature. Really down and off food. Just flaked out on sofa.
Been keeping him dosed up on Calpol but wondered how long it goes on for - anyone know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now