Talk

Advanced search

Borderline calprotectin stool test?

(8 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Tue 16-Apr-19 15:25:41

Anyone had this? My gp wants to repeat the test again in two weeks as it's been borderline twice. I am trying really hard not to google but am worrying now! Hoping someone can reassure me...
I have bloating and ibs type symptoms with some reflux symptoms too.

OP’s posts: |
OhWhatAPalaver Wed 17-Apr-19 08:25:00

Anyone?

NGC2017 Wed 17-Apr-19 09:04:59

Morning

Sorry i've had a quick google as I am having bowel trouble myself but am in the early stages of tests.
Its to do with inflammatory bowel disease (have you been told this?).

I am sorry to not be much help but your symptoms are similar to mine. I have also gone from having a bowel movement every day, to every 3 - 5 days at a struggle, which is alot smaller than normal. I stupidly googled and am now a mess :-( Unfortunately my mind springs to the worst, and my anxiety is through the roof.

I hope you get answers soon x

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 17-Apr-19 11:17:10

Thanks. No one mentioned exactly what it's for, the gp just said its to do with inflammation. I don't really know what inflammatory bowel disease is... I will make another gp appointment I think! I'm still going regularly thankfully, pretty much every day, but have varying symptoms. Some days I'm very bloated and others I have bad indigestion and others I am fine! confused hope we both get answers soon.

Friolero Wed 17-Apr-19 11:23:10

I had a high calprotectin result last year, had a colonoscopy where they found nothing, so they redid the stool test and the second time the calprotectin was in normal limits. They have no idea why it was so high the first time. It's an indicator for IBD but can also be caused by other things which cause bowel inflammation such as ibuprofen usage.

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 17-Apr-19 11:32:55

Thanks, I've just spoken to my gp who has referred to gastro for a colonoscopy as I've had two slightly raised samples. It is something my mum has to have regularly as both my grandparents my uncle had bowel cancer, bit scary really! Trying to be positive though as he said its only slightly raised.

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 17-Apr-19 11:45:04

Do you find out the results straight away when you have a colonoscopy btw?

Friolero Wed 17-Apr-19 17:14:21

Yes, they give you the results of what they've seen at the time. They also took a few biopsies which took a few weeks to come back.

Hope you get good news, I know it's very alarming, I was convincing myself I had bowel cancer or Crohn's disease as thought there must be a reason for the calprotectin to be so high, but I guess there are other reasons for high readings sometimes!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »