Talk

Advanced search

My brother has to catheterise himself to pee

(8 Posts)
Tensixtysix Sun 14-Apr-19 22:24:53

He has been doing this for over five years. They say it's because the nerve to his bladder isn't working and he can't empty it.
So he has to guess if he needs to go.
Will he have to do this for the rest of his life? Is there nothing else that they can do?

OP’s posts: |
adayatthebeach Sun 14-Apr-19 22:28:44

Nerves aren’t easy to repair. Sorry

Weenurse Sun 14-Apr-19 22:30:52

Sacral neuromodulation is often successful in this situation. Very expensive though in Australia.

Weenurse Sun 14-Apr-19 22:31:24

It is a bit like a pacemaker for the bladder.

Malibucyprus Mon 15-Apr-19 21:55:09

My FIL has been doing this for 20 years, he just cannot go without, Dr’s have never offered a solution.

I feel awful for him, he’s 76 now, and can only be away from home for a few hours before his tummy swells and he has to go catheterise.

Weenurse Tue 16-Apr-19 09:23:35

There are some great products that come pre lubricated and fit into pockets so men can catheterise when out and about.
Just need to have a man bag with wipes and hand sanitizer.
Don’t use wipes at home though as can leave residue on the skin.

Ilovefluffysheep Tue 16-Apr-19 09:26:03

Some people choose to have a supra pubic catheter (SPC). It is basically a catheter that is surgically placed and stays in. Can be attached to a bag, or a flip flow on the end of it, which basically turns off and on like a tap (open it every time you need to pee for example).

They come with their own problems, and people seem to love them or hate them. I've had them before and hated them, could feel them all the time and they were excrutiating. For those that get on well with them they can be a godsend, and freedom from having to catheterise every few hours.

As someone else said, sacral neurommodulaiton can help. It isn't offered in in hospitals, so it can be a battle to get it. I've read mixed reviews. Again, I've had it, and it didn't help me at all.

CookPassBabtridge Tue 16-Apr-19 09:29:07

My SIL has to do this and has for years, I can't imagine the soreness sadI hated having a catheter in after c-section and it hurt coming out. Her bladder issues resulted from a bad birth which is one of the reasons I opted for c-sections.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in