Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

anyone got a toddler with both testicles undescended or missing altogether?!

(14 Posts)
brandy7 Fri 13-Jul-07 22:47:58

anyone?

my son 2.9 years is on hormone treatment for 2weeks to see if they will descend, if they are there. the consultants cant feel anything and say the tiny lump i found is a vas deferens tube??

fi they dont descend they gona do an explatory (sp) to see if they are there to bring down

or if you know of anyone

thanks

brandy7 Fri 13-Jul-07 22:58:16

anyone? its fast on here tonight!

brandy7 Sat 14-Jul-07 09:23:49

bump

Biglips Sat 14-Jul-07 09:24:50

got no advice but i really hope the treatment will work xx

Pixiefish Sat 14-Jul-07 09:25:48

mybrother had this and he had an operation to descend them when he was about 10. Bear in mind that he is now 36 so that was afair old time ago

brandy7 Sat 14-Jul-07 09:28:41

thankyou, perhaps someone come on later whos got experience of it

Biglips Sat 14-Jul-07 09:39:54

yes good idea as its saturday and its early. if u can...come on at 7pm

francagoestohollywood Sat 14-Jul-07 09:40:20

brandy, hope the treatment will work. Ds had one undescended testicle (I think because of a hernia) and was operated when he was 10 months, in Italy. All the best

brandy7 Sat 14-Jul-07 09:43:58

ok thanks,

il bump it about 7

hes got an under developed pituarity gland and some of it missing i found out at hospital last week, so this is why they are either not there or lost somewhere

3cats2kidsand1dog Sat 14-Jul-07 10:12:39

DS1 had one undescended testicle. This is 4 years ago, so I am quite likely to get some of the details wrong, particularly as I'd just had DS2 when it all happened.

The surgeon looked at him first and referred us for a scan (I think). The guy who did that was brilliant and said it might be missing and that meant something. Sorry, very vague - I know - my knowledge of biology is none-existent and I was sleep deprived, too.

Anyhow, in DS's case, he found the testicle and we went onto have the op as it wasn't coming down on its own. 9 months later, we went private for this. I remember sitting with the consultant on the morning and him telling me the sooner the better . The testicle was very undeveloped and is still smaller today, but DS likes it all the same .

Good luck - hope your DS is OK.

yaddayah Sat 14-Jul-07 10:22:47

Sorry no knowledge as to hormonal treatment
My dc was dx with both undecended at birth, they operated when he was 23 months on one side, the other one with manipulation would come come (surgeon said it was shy !) Consultant was reluctant to operate on both at the same time. The untreated side has now decended naturally. Was told they like to operate sooner rather than later due to possible complications (twisting .. ouch) Only other thing to mention is statistically theres a marginally higher risk of testical cancer so to make sure when he's older he checks himself regularly.
Strangely both my dh and his dad had similar conditions (so obviously no link with loss of fertility!)

Operation was very quick and very routine, and ds was up and running about within a few hours

Hope this helps and I haven't scared you (its worrying at the time but he's 5 now and its a very distant memory

Budababe Sat 14-Jul-07 10:27:37

My DS had one undescended and was operated on 2 years ago. It is still very small. May never grow. But have been assured that the other one should be fine.

We were offered the hormone treatment here (am in Budapest) but after research decided against it and just went straight for the op. Very straightforward.

snuffy143 Sat 14-Jul-07 10:34:18

I have a friend with a DS, just 3. He has no testicles in his scrotum and only one poorly developed one up near his stomach. He has had scans and keyhole sugery to investigate. He is now under a bigwig consultant in Manchester and the decision has been whether to attempt to move it, considering the blood supply was vary dodgy or to leave it be.

Leaving it alone will allow him to release testosterone to go through puberty and maintain secondary sexual characterisitcs i.e. be a man but he will never produce sperm. Moving it could leave him with nothing, not even the hormone potential and maybe no sperm. He would then have to have hormone replacement which is not very good for men at the moment.

So, this has obviously been incredibly traumatic and they have decided to leave the testicle where it is. And face infertility. But when you consider the IVF progress that has been made in the last 30 years, I think they are optimistic that the door may not be shut. I heard on the radio a few months ago that sperm has been generated from bone marrow cells!

That is their story but it is apparently incredibly rare and they were very surprised it wasn't a more simple case of undescended testicles. This can be resolved much more easily. Good luck!

brandy7 Sat 14-Jul-07 11:38:22

thanks for your replies

snuffy, thats really interesting that you say that your friends little boy could still gain manly characteristcis without his testicles.this is what i worried about if they arent there.

the consultant at the hospital i think initially thought because of the damage to the pituarity and his other hormone probs that he could have had the hormone prob where youre born boy/girl but not knowing which one! as ds is very dainty and the lack of testicles, but he has a normal looking willy so apparently thats good, phew.

the hormone treatment is definitely causes changes "down there", but no signs of testicles, it just seems to have made his ball bag a bit swollen. sorry too much info.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: