Talk

Advanced search

Arthritis pain getting me down

(14 Posts)
LaganOnABubble Sat 13-Apr-19 15:50:47

I’ve recently had it confirmed I have osteo arthritis and am find the constant dull ache, twinges and stiffness difficult.

It’s mainly in my hands, but one shoulder is also playing up.

Anyone have any top tips for coping?

OP’s posts: |
notapizzaeater Sat 13-Apr-19 15:57:09

My dh has just tried cryotherapy- he says it's took the edge of the pain 😢

GrumpyOldMare Sat 13-Apr-19 16:04:24

Fellow osteo sufferer here.Hands,knee and ankle.

For me,cod liver oil helps.
An electric blanket on the bed for chilly or painful nights,I find helps my joints.
Trying to keep as active as I can,I find helps with the stiffness.Hands round a warm cup of tea/coffee etc.

SoMuchToBits Sat 13-Apr-19 16:10:50

I have found a low carbohydrate diet has helped a lot. I originally started the diet to lose weight (which I did), but found it also reduced my joint pain significantly. I'm not sure whether it's low carb per se, or whether it is omitting some specific item in my diet (e.g. wheat) which is making the difference. But it may be worth looking at your diet and seeing if there is anything which aggravates your symptoms

LaganOnABubble Sat 13-Apr-19 16:20:58

Thanks all.

I am feeling in a bit of a slump, and lacking any mojo to do anything.

Losing weight would definitely help.

user1494670108 Sat 13-Apr-19 16:44:13

I'm really interested in the low carb idea. Struggling with my knuckles and currently I have a sore knee although I'm really hoping it's not arthritic.
I've also heard about turmeric being v good (although that was from the owner of an elderly arthritic spaniel wink)

user1494670108 Sat 13-Apr-19 16:45:40

I've been taking glucosamine and chondroitin for years but of course there's no way of knowing it's it's helping or not.
I've also heard cannabis oil is v good but it's needs to be really strong not the stuff from Holland and Barrett

LaganOnABubble Sat 13-Apr-19 17:07:51

Channels inner spaniel - thanks all.

My knuckles are the worse

notapizzaeater Sat 13-Apr-19 23:01:31

Hubby swears by this for his hands.

He takes turmeric tablets.

Cutting out Diet Coke made a huge difference.

EmeraldEmma Sun 14-Apr-19 01:28:35

I've been taking Boswellia Serrata for a few weeks and the pain in my hip has reduced significantly, would definitely recommend trying it.

temperancefugit Sun 14-Apr-19 15:23:20

Low carb diet
Eat fresh, not processed food
Regular exercise - start gradually but keep at it
If pain killers don’t help, consider amitriptyline

I have been eating sugary snacks this week and have noticed my joints are much more painful. Diet for me now is not about weight or looks any more - it’s pain control!

FedupNagging Fri 03-May-19 07:58:52

Has anyone tried vit d and found it beneficial? Also considering cbd oil.

Have been using glucosamine sulphate but didn't think it very effective so looking for an alternative however, not been taking anything for a month to see what would happen and literally every joint in my body is painful!

MaudesMum Fri 03-May-19 20:18:03

My hands/wrists are quite badly affected - swollen, knobbly joints which look horrible and I get quite a lot of pain especially after I've been doing things that involve a lot of gripping, such as gardening or driving. I've also become one of those people who fumbles for things like change in purses because my fingers are so clumsy - which I hate!

I use ibuprofen gel when I remember, especially before I'm going to do something that I know will be painful, such as driving long distances, and it does help. I also now pace myself - if I'm having a weekend where one day involves lots of gardening, the other day will involve something else. And I've bought a few Good Grips kitchen implements which really help, and a very good jar opening thingy, and some other items such as a light handheld vacuum cleaner. Good luck - it really is a complete pain!

mineofuselessinformation Fri 03-May-19 20:23:25

Paraffin hand baths are incredibly soothing, plus they relieve pain and can improve mobility for a while.
I've never tried ibuprofen gel as I would need to use a lot (shoulders, hips, hands and knees are the worst), so when the pain is really bad I take co-codamol which really works for me. Over the counter medication doesn't touch the pain when it's really bad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »