Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have Functional Neurological Disorder (FND)?

(3 Posts)
Felicity21 Sat 15-Jun-19 14:32:11

Hi, I have fnd as well as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I just got diagnosed with fnd last September. I'm seeing a neuro physio and am on the list to see a psychologist since last October... It's a hard one as there's so little known about it. My gp hasn't heard of it, my physio is lovely and keeps saying it can be reversed but there's no guarantees on it so it's a mindfield. I joined the fnd support group on Facebook and it's so helpful. There are lots of people a lot worse than me but it's really supportive.

lyrebird1 Wed 10-Apr-19 21:04:56

Hi, sorry you are feeling lost. I have syringomyelia, which is a condition related to chiari malformation (I have brain slump, but not quite enough herniation to call it a malformation!). It is important that you see a good neurosurgeon about the chiari, as it is quite rare: the Ann Conroy Trust has a list of neurosurgeons with a special interest.

That isn't to say that you will definitely need surgery for it. However, neurosurgery is well placed to decide between treating symptoms or trying to create more space for the brain fluid to flow in the hope of alleviating symptoms.

I can't really say much about FND, however a referral to health psychology has been really helpful for me to come to terms with my illness, and it has helped reduce functional gastrointestinal symptoms that I was having as well. If you have any questions about the chiari, I will try to answer. Apologies for both waffling, and failing to answer actual question!

OneNightTimeMenaceStrikesBack Wed 10-Apr-19 14:48:49

SO i was diagnosed with this today along with a chiari malformation of yet unknown severity and i'm a bit lost tbh. I don't quite know what it means for me and my future. To further complicate things, i already had Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (whole body) just wondering if anyone else has the FND and has any advice or words onw hat to expect from treatment, what will happen for treatment etc etc. thanks

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in