Talk

Advanced search

Vestibular migraine

(5 Posts)
MyYouserName Tue 09-Apr-19 09:26:30

I've just read about "vestibular migraine" and think I've finally discovered a name for something I've had from time to time for about 15 years. I feel suddenly completely off balance, like the world is lurching around and indescribably tired, for several hours, and then have a mild headache for at least a day and feel fuzzy and exhausted for several days.

I've had visual aura migraines on and off for 20 years (am now 40), but had never previously added up that the off-balance things could also be migraine. I did mention them once to a doctor who seemed unperturbed and said "one of those things".

So - does anyone get vestibular migraine, and does this sound like it?
TIA

OP’s posts: |
tangledyarn Tue 09-Apr-19 13:53:03

Yes I have vestibular migraine as well as more classic migraine. Treatment is the same really for both. So might be worth trialling a preventative, I take a few plus have botox although I'm still constantly dizzy but do have underlying vestibular disorder and eye issues which contribute.

faelavie Tue 09-Apr-19 15:14:15

I've also had vestibular migraine though classic migraine is more usual for me.
I went through a load of possible diagnoses first before establishing that the vertigo attacks were due to vestibular migraine.
Have you been investigated for other vestibular issues at all? E.g. Labyrinthitis, BPPV, Meniere's?

Otherwise I second trialing a preventative medication. Amitriptyline has changed my life.

wineandsunshine Tue 09-Apr-19 16:54:46

Ditto amitriptylene is a game changer. Mine are chronic migraine - occasional dizziness like you describe.

fantasticdog Tue 09-Apr-19 17:57:35

I too suffer from migraines and often get no pain but disturbed vision, lose feeling in left side and no hearing in left ear. I can have 2 in a week and can go months without any

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »