Advanced search

Can you have medical tests for food allergies/intolerances?

(5 Posts)
Holidayshopping Sat 06-Apr-19 17:16:30

If so, would would do them and how would you access them? Via the GP or would you have to go privately?

A friend at work saw a homeopath who tested for intolerances but I want something less ‘alternative’?!

Would it be a doctor? A nutritionist, a dietician?

I’ve long suffered with stomach troubles and really now want it properly looked at blush.

OP’s posts: |
DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 06-Apr-19 17:18:02

Our GP sent us to Guys hospital to test for ds's allergy to nuts.

Pyra Sat 06-Apr-19 20:19:35

You should see an allergist who can do skin prick tests for you for the allergens you want to test for. I have consulted a couple of good ones in London and can recommend if that's where you are.

Pyra Sat 06-Apr-19 20:20:44

PS can be via GP (factor in wait times - took me 3 months to get an appointment in London) or privately, of course.

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 06-Apr-19 20:30:51

You can tested for allergens via the NHS. I've had them after having had episodes of anaphylaxis. You could go to your GP and ask, but I would imagine there would be a waiting time for that. Or they may not want to refer you at all if they don't think that you have a food allergy.

The same service will be available privately I'm sure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »