Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

operations in the womb - did your baby have one?

(7 Posts)
steppemum Thu 12-Jul-07 14:01:37

I have just had a scan at 24 weeks, and have been told that the baby has a thickened membrane between the top and bottom of the heart. i am in Kazakhstan, and the radiologist advised me to get home as soon as possible because in The West they can operate on this condition.
Of course I am coming abck to the UK, but I have never heard of anyone having a heart op inutero. You see it in magazine articles about new wonder techniques. have any of you done this? Does anyone know anything about it? Is it something they may only do at a specific place (like at a central London hospital)?

I would just like some information, and to know if I need to hassle to get referred to somewhere special.

All advice welcome

steppemum Thu 12-Jul-07 14:55:37

I'm just bumping this, please I am desparate for any info

steppemum Thu 12-Jul-07 15:59:03

bumping it again - can anyone help??

MrsBadger Thu 12-Jul-07 16:15:42

Heart operations in utero (prenatal cardiac interventions) are possible and can be very effective but are not without risks and are very rare - I've never met anyone who's had one in real life, only read papers about it and met scientists who've worked on the techniques etc.
I imagine if it happens anywhere it'll be in a big teaching hospital, most likely London but not necessarily.

I'm afraid I don't know any more about it than that, and have no idea how things would progress if the kind of thing your radiologist saw was picked up in the UK.
I think the best thing to do would be to get the radiologist to write a really comprehensive report including measurements and images etc for you to bring to the UK.

The Children's Heart Federation might be a good point of contact - they have a free helpline.

Best wishes, this must be very tough for you.

steppemum Fri 13-Jul-07 03:32:33

Thanks MrsBadger, I am going to return to the UK, but the earliest I can come is next week and I am trying to find some information in the meantime. We are pretty stunned at the moment.
steppemum

DiagonAlipiggie Fri 13-Jul-07 03:44:42

I've added on your other post. So look there for your starting point for the consultant you need.

CalifrauniusFudge Fri 13-Jul-07 05:37:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now