Talk

Advanced search

Switching medication brands

(4 Posts)
hotcrossbun4321 Sun 31-Mar-19 13:36:59

I've been taking ADs for a while now and was getting on really well with them (a generic brand). I got a new prescription a couple of weeks ago and noticed I've been given another brand generic instead. I'm now taking one bigger pill instead of 2 small. It's been making me feel pretty bad - jittery and anxious. Does anyone know how I can switch back to the original brand? Maybe if I ask for my medication in the smaller pills, so I'm taking 2 of them? Is it the doctor or chemist that would sort this out?

OP’s posts: |
HarryTheSteppenwolf Mon 01-Apr-19 17:10:58

If the prescription just says "escitalopram 10 mg once daily", for example, then the pharmacist should be able to substitute. However, it will be cheaper to give you twenty-eight 10-mg tablets than fifty-six 5-mg ones, so it's not necessarily something the pharmacist will change without a fair bit of discussion.

littlebillie Mon 01-Apr-19 17:24:57

I just had something similar and I spoke to my doctor who kindly advised the pharmacist it wasn't helpful

redsky21 Mon 01-Apr-19 17:29:52

I've had this before and it did make a difference, despite the doctor telling me it wasn't possible! I then saw a different doctor who made my prescription out for a specific brand.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »