Talk

Advanced search

Burst blood vessels on skin (small clusters) esp. nose

(19 Posts)
Shazafied Sun 31-Mar-19 13:23:42

Hi all,

I’m very fair skinned and 8m pregnant (second pregnancy in 2 years). About 5 years ago I noticed a tiny burst blood vessel on my nose and didn’t worry too much as it didn’t change or spread.

During my first pregnancy this blood vessel spread into a small star burst of broken capillaries with a clear centre (almost like a very raised red spot in the middle).

During my second pregnancy I have developed two more (smaller) examples on my nose plus several on my forearms.

Does anyone know what this is? I have a lot of nose bleeds during pregnancy so could it all be connected and be capillaries just expanding to the surface? Or could it be rosecea / sun damage (I’m generally pretty careful these days though and wear and spf foundation and sun hat in hot weather).

Or could it be something sinister ?

Finally - anyone else who’s had - can it be removed / treated?

I wi prob go to the docs soon , I just feel like a time waster really as it seems cosmetic ... and I have to drag DD1 with me which is a nightmare !

Thanks all!

OP’s posts: |
Shazafied Sun 31-Mar-19 15:44:34

Bump! Anyone ?

Persimmonn Sun 31-Mar-19 15:55:06

They just look like spots to me. Broken capillaries don’t usually have a raised bump.

DS had a bout of petechiae last weekend as he had a cough and then had a horrible 5 min vomiting episode through which he was leaning over and straining. He had little red spots all over his cheeks and around his eyes. They weren’t itchy or raised. It was like red spots inside his skin and then they disappeared over 2/3 days.

missmouse101 Sun 31-Mar-19 16:01:03

I'd perhaps pop into a beauty salon that removes thread veins and see what they have to say? It's a bit unclear what they are and they'd help to identify them I reckon.

bilbodog Sun 31-Mar-19 16:07:26

They just look like spots to me

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 31-Mar-19 16:08:38

Have you tried squeezing them?grin

Drogonssmile Sun 31-Mar-19 16:28:04

Watching with interest. This is my red nose spot that appeared with pregnancy no.2 three years ago. I have no idea what it is and am too scared to ask Gp in case it's sinister. It's never change though. Please excuse my sweaty face I'm in a hot bath!

DreamingofBrie Sun 31-Mar-19 16:32:24

I have one on my face - I think it happened during or just after I was pregnant. Dr said it was a spider naevus and not to worry about it.

It does make me self-conscious - Dr mentioned you can have it removed using cryotherapy. I might do something about it this year.

Shazafied Sun 31-Mar-19 16:33:01

Not spots. Started off 5 years ago as small flat patch of burst capillaries then progressed into larger patch then got pronounced pink centre .

Shazafied Sun 31-Mar-19 16:34:25

Thanks drogon and dreaming .... will look up spider naevus x

missmouse101 Sun 31-Mar-19 16:36:55

If spider naevus, then again, try a beauty salon. I had one removed years ago there.

Shazafied Sun 31-Mar-19 16:41:14

Sound like it

“A spider angioma or spider naevus (pleural spider naevi) is a type of telangiectasis (swollen blood vessels) found slightly beneath the skin surface, often containing a central red spot and reddish extensions which radiate outwards like a spider's web.”

Might treat myself to removal one baby out !

Shazafied Sun 31-Mar-19 16:41:40

*once baby out!

Shazafied Sun 31-Mar-19 16:43:00

Ah ... they can be linked to increased oestrogen in pregnancy x

MsChicken Sun 31-Mar-19 16:47:31

Spider vein. I had one zapped with a laser a few years ago - hurt like being pinged really hard with an elastic band repeatedly for a few seconds. Made the area go brown and bruised looking for a few days and then healed away to nothing. Apparently it can take more than one go sometimes. Mine definitely had a very small central raised area.

OnlyJoking1 Sun 31-Mar-19 16:49:22

Spider naevi , I’ve always had a few, when i was pregnant with twins, i was covered in them, i was told they are hormone related.
The just disappear on their own.
Only one of my children have one.

Shazafied Sun 31-Mar-19 16:54:25

Phew ! So glad it’s nothing a) sinister b)unfixable!

Drogonssmile Sun 31-Mar-19 16:57:54

Me too! Thanks op for asking the question!

SingaSong12 Sun 31-Mar-19 17:07:06

I don’t want to worry but it is worth getting checked by a doctor especially if the nosebleeds are very bad. I have HHT which is a bleeding disorder. It causes little Telangiectasias and also serious nosebleeds. It is an inherited illness so if other family members have had bad nosebleeds it might more likely. HHT is also called Osler Weber Rendu but it is quite rare.

Most people will have one of the things mentioned by pp and (no doubt you looked up nosebleeds during pregnancy

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/nosebleed-pregnant/

www.nhs.uk/conditions/hereditary-haemorrahagic-telangiectasia/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »