Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Chicken pox and flying - will we need a doctor's note?

(8 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-Jul-07 20:03:16

DS2 came down with chicken pox today. He's seriously spotty, but not very ill.

We are flying to Canada on August 5th. He'll probably still be spotty then, right? If scabby.

Will we need a doctor's note? Should I get one, just to be sure? Can I wait until after he's contagious, to do this, so I don't infect all the old ladies in the waiting room?

nickytwotimes Wed 11-Jul-07 20:04:51

could you phone your gp?
might be a good idea to get one just in case and check with airline too.
good on you being cautious though - loads of people just waltz around here with their spotty kids!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-Jul-07 20:29:06

Oh, I just don't want to have my flights messed up.

Yeah, I will phone my GP.

DH has suggested I just get BIL (different surname) to write a note. I am a bit tempted.

MadEyeMisdee Wed 11-Jul-07 20:31:19

he probably wont be spotty, just possibly a few scabs hanging about.

has ds1 had it?

Weasleybug Wed 11-Jul-07 20:31:41

That gives you quite a few weeks. We flew the day after dd's last spot scabbed (phhew!) although by then a lot of her spots had disappeared (this was almost 2 weeks after her first ones appeared). No one said anything at all but it was a relief once the plane took off and we knew they couldn't refuse then .

I would think you'd be fine but if the doctor will give a note then it wouldn't do any harm.

babalon Wed 11-Jul-07 21:58:48

I'm very sure it will be fine as long as he doesn't have visible spots on his face you won't need a note, He deffinately won't be contacious by then. If your still worried a Gp will write you a quick note a few days before you go.

Have a lovely holiday, we came back from spain last friday 4 weeks after ds2 had been exposed to chicken poxs he got the spots on Saturday! Shame really I would have quite fancid staying out there for another week curtosy of the insurance company LOL

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-Jul-07 22:00:21

Yes, DS1 has had it, so we're in the clear.

I'm glad he's got it really, I've been getting him to lick people with it for ages. (I have friends coming over tomorrow to lick him, too. )

I guess he will be clear by then, he's just very spotty, partiularly in the nappy area. Not in any discomfort, at least.

I guess I'll wait until a week before we're due to go and reassess then.

babalon Wed 11-Jul-07 22:01:24

Sorry spelling awful
just read back

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: