Talk

Advanced search

Memory loss with concussion

(3 Posts)
ajandjjmum Thu 28-Mar-19 14:36:18

DS is currently on vacation with a group of friend skiing. There has been an accident (out of control snowboarder!!) who has run in to one of the group. She has been checked out and has concussion, but no bleed on the brain. The medical centre has discharged her.

Everyone is worried because she cannot remember anything over the past few days.

Any knowledge or experience of something similar? DS is worried that the memory loss may be permanent.

OP’s posts: |
Haphazardhacker Thu 04-Apr-19 06:59:25

She needs to get plenty of rest, I had a riding accident three years ago (landed on my headcam) and still suffer from post concussion syndrome.
Not saying it will last that long but in these early days she needs to rest, concussion is never taken as seriously as it needs to be.

THEsonofaBITCH Thu 04-Apr-19 07:08:19

memory loss around the accident isn't that unusual, some of it will likely come back but the closer the time to the accident the less likely it will come - ie she may never remember the last few hours right before the accident. The effects can be quite long lasting though and I agree, concussion used to be treated like the movies - knocked unconscious and then right back up and normal (usually fighting bad guys) - and should be taken more seriously. GL (good luck).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »