Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chicken Pox - How long do you keep them home from school if they are not feeling ill?

(6 Posts)
tombley Wed 11-Jul-07 17:05:27

DD is 5 and had an afternoon of feeling poorly on Saturday. Spots appeared on Sunday and have (I think) all appeared now.
She doesn't feel ill at all and is desperate to go back to school. When would you allow her to return?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-Jul-07 17:06:47

If spots appeared on Sunday, she's still contagious until Thursday. Friday, she can go back to school.

But - I'd check with the school about their policy. Some places have longer exclusion periods, some demand that all the spots have crusted over.

PestoMonster Wed 11-Jul-07 17:09:22

Once she's crusted over, I think.

tombley Wed 11-Jul-07 17:10:21

Oh I didn't know she would be contagious still. Probably keep her home 'til next week to be sure. She will be disappointed though.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-Jul-07 17:24:32

It sucks, doesn't it. My DS2 came up in spots today - he was poorly yesterday, and is totally fine today. He's 2. I'll take him back to the co-op on Monday, which will be the sixth day after his spots came out.

LIZS Wed 11-Jul-07 17:27:10

minimum 5 days assuming no more spots appear but some may insist that they have all scabbed. Friend's ds had another crop almost a week later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now