Talk

Advanced search

Can I find out if this is the menopause?

(8 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Tue 26-Mar-19 08:40:55

I'm almost 50 and for,the past 6 months or so,have been feeling quite low and despondent. It's not all the time but probably most of the time. Equally, I forget so much that it's really starting to worry me. I work with young children so I'm concerned that I might make a terrible mistake.

I'm usually a very positive, glass half full type of person so this is completely out of character for me.

A friend said that there's a blood test at the GP that determines whether you're menopausal or not.........maybe if I knew I was could take something that might help?

OP’s posts: |
BaconAndAvocado Tue 26-Mar-19 11:34:18

Bump

Gingerivy Tue 26-Mar-19 11:55:31

Best thing is to make an appointment and discuss it with your GP. Sorry, I know that's likely not to helpful, but if it IS menopause, they may be able to offer some advice, and if it's not, then perhaps they can help you look into what it might be.

Best of luck.

Gingerivy Tue 26-Mar-19 11:56:11

too helpful. argh. HATE making typo spelling mistakes.

Fazackerley Tue 26-Mar-19 11:57:33

If you are still having periods then it may be peri menopause. If your periods have stopped then yes you are in menopause.

There's a very convenient way of telling if you are in meno or not!!

BaconAndAvocado Tue 26-Mar-19 15:53:56

Haha yes I forgot about that bit!

Yes I'm still having periods but somewhat irregularly.

Fazackerley Tue 26-Mar-19 16:29:32

I was prescribed HRT for hot flushes (hadnt had a period for a year). It's really sorted out my moods. I didn't realise how bad they were until they went. It's been such a relief.

BlackSatinDancer Tue 26-Mar-19 19:23:34

A GP can test for FSH (follicle-stimulating hormones) and Oestrogen levels with a blood test if you have menopausal symptoms.

However, feeling low and being forgetful by themselves don't necessarily scream menopause but best to see a GP to sort it out anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »