Talk

Advanced search

Diazepan for flying

(5 Posts)
frustratedgardener Fri 22-Mar-19 19:16:46

Flying tomorrow morning (1 hour in air - Edinburgh to Bristol). Claustrophobia gets me about flying not feeling I will crash and die. Doctor a bit vague about when to take the 5mg tablet he has given me (just said 'in the morning') I didn't ask for more details as bit embarrassed I need tablets to fly now as I never used to. Done some online research which says peak strength is 30 - 90 mins after taking. Anyone got any experience about when I should take the tablet i.e before I leave for the airport (30 min trip) at boarding, on plane in seat? Thanks. P.S this is a test run for a long haul flight I will be taking in May .

OP’s posts: |
FrankiesKnuckle Fri 22-Mar-19 19:20:14

20 mins or so prior to boarding.
Get comfy in your seat before you zonk out.
5mg diazepam isn't a huge dose but you will definitely feel it if you've not taken it before.

frustratedgardener Fri 22-Mar-19 22:49:42

Thanks for the info FrankiesKnuckle x

OP’s posts: |
stopfuckingshoutingatme Sat 23-Mar-19 23:17:32

Yes 20 minutes before you are in seat 💺

Rafabella8 Sun 24-Mar-19 05:36:13

This used to be me OP. I travelled extensively for work and took diazepam for flying in latter years. 5mg is a small doze, but you will feel it. 20mins to half an hour is usually a good guideline. For such a short flight, you could also let the cabin crew know that you have take it due to a fear of flying. They are specially trained in this and will take good care of you. Whatever you do, do not mix with alcohol - not even a small glass of wine. I learned that one the hard way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »