Talk

Advanced search

Urine testing sticks

(9 Posts)
JellySlice Fri 22-Mar-19 12:31:16

Dd has been seriously ill as a result of a symptomless UTI. Symptomless until it spread and made her very ill. I want to be able to monitor her, so that I can know to take her to the GP if she gets another symptomless UTI.

There are lots of testing sticks on Amazon, but I have no idea how to choose.

Any advice?

TroysMammy Fri 22-Mar-19 12:36:12

They are only recommended to be used by medical professionals who can interpret the results accurately. Can't you ask your surgery if you can drop in an urine sample for them to test unless you are wanting to test her urine every time she goes to the toilet. I understand she has been poorly but this seems a bit over the top.

GrandmaSharksDentures Fri 22-Mar-19 12:38:28

UTIs should not be treated unless they cause symptoms.
How do you know she had a symptomless UTI?
The urine dipsticks can cause more worry & confusion unless you really know what you are looking at

Silversky70 Fri 22-Mar-19 12:39:21

I have the Siemens strips. They have saved me many doctor's trips and courses of antibiotics!

Prequelle Fri 22-Mar-19 12:40:22

I've got a stock of them (although i am a nurse) and let's be honest it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if there's leukocytes and nitrates there may be an issue. Handy for pregnant women too who want to check ketones and protein.

The Siemens Multistix are the best

Prequelle Fri 22-Mar-19 12:41:22

grandma I'm guessing the 'seriously unwell part' suggests she was systemically symptomatic

JellySlice Fri 22-Mar-19 12:41:35

Will they test without instruction from a dr?

I'm not talking about just being a bit under the weather, here. This symptomless UTI has resulted in weeks off school and hospital admission.

JellySlice Fri 22-Mar-19 12:47:42

UTI confirmed by urine culture. However she never had any UTI symptoms.

JellySlice Fri 22-Mar-19 12:51:36

UTIs should not be treated unless they cause symptoms.

Dd had been feeling vaguely under the weather on and off for a few weeks beforehand. Maybe this was a symptom?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »