Talk

Advanced search

Black spots on tongue - panicking - WTF?

(17 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Wed 20-Mar-19 08:20:22

Literally appeared overnight, 2 black spots on my tongue, one on the tip, one on the side. They won't come off.

In the interests of transparency I will admit that after DH brought me a cup of tea (no sugar) in bed last night I fell asleep so didn't brush my teeth. This is NOT something that happens all the time, honestly!

They look scary. Any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
IHeartKingThistle Wed 20-Mar-19 09:59:59

The plague??!

DecumusScotti Wed 20-Mar-19 10:06:18

I’ve no idea, but I wonder if they could be blood blisters of some kind, since they came up so quickly overnight...

Gamechanger12e3 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:08:56

Ive had this before. Like 2 black dots. It was vitamin B deficiency

NorthEndGal Wed 20-Mar-19 10:10:29

You don't have any Pepto bismal did you?
Or drink Shiraz?

IHeartKingThistle Wed 20-Mar-19 10:22:31

Interesting, I usually take Vit B every day but haven't taken it for the last few days. No red wine! I do take Nexium (like omeprazole) most days but not Pepto-Bismol.

They look horrible!

ThreeRandomWords Wed 20-Mar-19 10:27:02

Have you used a bleach-based mouthwash like peroxyl. My tongue went disgustingly black almost overnight. The colour went back to normal-ish after a couple of days once I stopped using it, but my tongue was slightly sore for a couple of weeks.

IHeartKingThistle Wed 20-Mar-19 10:29:30

No, no mouthwash.

ALargeGinPlease Wed 20-Mar-19 10:39:57

Have you upset any pirates recently?

ReggieWoo Wed 20-Mar-19 10:40:49

We need a photo to be able to diagnose properly wink

Oldmum55 Wed 20-Mar-19 11:19:08

Do you drink shorts like whisky brandy etc neat? I used to and apparently they are so strong that take a layer of skin off the tongue. Now I'm (almost) T total they have vanished!

Seaweed42 Wed 20-Mar-19 13:24:03

Might you have chewed a pen that had permanent ink in it.

IHeartKingThistle Wed 20-Mar-19 20:14:10

No, no, and no pirates!

Embarrassingly, I have now realised that there is only one spot, on the top of my tongue, it's just that I can also see it from the side blush

I have been drinking large amounts of very hot tea out of an insulated beaker thing - have I singed myself???

Taneartagam Wed 20-Mar-19 20:17:40

My granny used to say if I told lies I'd get a black spot on my tongue. Have you been telling lies OP?

I fell once and bit my tongue hard between two teeth, it bruised my tongue and came up like a black spot (coincidentally I had also told a whopper of a lie that day, needless to say I have been completely honest ever since)

IHeartKingThistle Wed 20-Mar-19 20:24:52

Oh my goodness! I never lie if I can help it!

Though I did tell one last week - I work with a girl who has anxiety problems and gets very upset when bad things happen to animals. She asked me how my cat was. My cat has been missing for weeks. I told her he was fine. But that's a nice lie, right?

IHeartKingThistle Wed 20-Mar-19 20:27:05

You know what, I had a terrible nights sleep last night, maybe I bit my tongue...

AlexaAmbidextra Wed 20-Mar-19 20:31:57

As an aside, you really shouldn’t drink very hot tea, or very hot anything, on a regular basis. It can inflame your oesophagus and ultimately put you at risk of oesophageal cancer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »