Talk

Advanced search

Large breast lump only month after mammogram and breast clinic

(11 Posts)
dahliaaa Sun 17-Mar-19 18:22:22

I feel ridiculous writing this but not sure what to do.
Had lots of lumpy tissue etc and gp referred to clinic under 2WW. Had examination / mammo and ultrasound and all fine.

It’s only 5 weeks since (!) but this morning I felt quite a big lump in the lower inner part of left breast. It’s about 1.5cm and feels moveable.

It’s almost like it’s come up overnight. Not painful / sore at all.

I’m 48 so lots of hormonal stuff doing on (just missed a period) so wonder if should wait a while and see what happens with it. Don’t want to waste an appointment when I’ve recently had such a thorough check...

dahliaaa Sun 17-Mar-19 21:38:18

Bump

BeautyWasTheBeast Sun 17-Mar-19 22:05:22

I don't think any gp would think you were wasting an appointment by going with this concern. it is probably nothing so soon after you have been checked but it may put your mind at ease if the doctor can explain it.
Or if by any chance it is something malicious then it's best to be seen sooner rather than later.

freddiemercury Sun 17-Mar-19 22:07:36

Hi there... I've always had lumpy breasts...and was forever seeing my GP/bring referred. They never seem to mind at all. The thing is if it is anything sinister the earlier you catch it the better.
I'd definitely go back...

Idratherhaveacupoftea Sun 17-Mar-19 22:08:02

It sounds more like a fluid filled cyst if it's moveable. I've had them before, but I'd get it checked just to be in the safe side.

dahliaaa Sun 17-Mar-19 22:24:06

Thanks everyone for replying. Feel a bit less ridiculous now. Fingers crossed the fact that it is moveable is a good sign. I was a bit freaked out that it had appeared so quickly but I’m definitely perimenopausal so poss linked to that.

Calibri12 Sun 17-Mar-19 22:56:10

I had three consecutive months where big cysts came up and I had to keep going back. They didn't repeat the mammogram on the 2nd and 3rd visits but they did more ultrasound and drained the cysts. Mine was private through insurance which no doubt made things easier, I just contacted the consultant's secretary. Best wishes

Applesbananaspears Sun 17-Mar-19 23:37:50

A large moveable lump which appears overnight is almost always a cyst especially if you had a mammo and ultrasound a month ago but you absolutely wouldn’t be wasting anyone’s time to get it checked. However I wouldn’t give it any worry in the meantime as the chance of it being sinister after a recent check line you’ve had is minesciule

dahliaaa Sun 17-Mar-19 23:57:02

Thank you for the reassuring messages. I’ve booked one of the appointments for 2 1/2 weeks time that you can book for our surgery online. That way I can see if it changes in anyway in that time but also not leaving it too long.
That’s feels vaguely sensible (?)

Fakeflowersandlemonade Wed 20-Mar-19 19:05:25

I was at the breast clinic recently with a lump and got the all clear however they said if it got bigger or I needed further reassurance to not hesitate to go back. They honestly don't mind

dahliaaa Wed 20-Mar-19 21:59:30

Thank you.
I ended up seeing the nurse at gp practice and she has referred me back to breast clinic.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »