Talk

Advanced search

Banding a haemorrhoid... sorry, if TMI!

(3 Posts)
Miljah Sat 16-Mar-19 13:56:25

I suddenly developed what I am calling a haemorrhoid about a fortnight ago. It came up overnight, so it's probably a thrombosed vein, given that it's hard, spherical and sitting externally on my anal 'ring', about the size of a small grape.

It hasn't bled (yet!), nothing makes it better or worse, but it's beginning to ache a bit now so I know I must get it seen to.

I imagine they'll band it- does anyone have any experience of this? Just reading the horror stories on another thread on here shock but I believe those poor folks have had several 'proper' haemorrhoids, including internal ones requiring a GA, followed by weeks of painful recovery.

DH had banding years ago, at a screening colonoscopy, but I don't recall it giving him much trouble.

OP’s posts: |
Funnyface1 Sat 16-Mar-19 16:02:05

They don't band them if they're external. If they're external the only thing they can do is cut them off. I don't think you can get referred for this on the NHS anymore unless it's causing you severe problems. It's classed as cosmetic and most gps will fob you off.

Miljah Sat 16-Mar-19 17:07:50

Thanks for that information!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »