Talk

Advanced search

Hepatology / liver referral, first appointment

(5 Posts)
Cockadoodledooo Fri 08-Mar-19 21:11:13

Hi folks, been referred to hepatology after an ultrasound showed abnormal texture to my liver. Radiologist said not sinister or massively diseased but needs further investigation, plus my alkaline phosphatase and gamma gt are both still well above normal (though trending downwards on repeated tests), despite not drinking alcohol for probably 4 weeks before the first test, and within recommended limits before that.

Anyhow, just wondered what happens at the first hepatology appointment - dh is due to be out of the country on the date my appointment is booked for so wondering what contingency plans I should make for the dc. Am I likely to be kept in?!

TIA.

OP’s posts: |
Notanidiot Sat 09-Mar-19 11:38:33

Despite normal ultrasound scan I also have persistently raised ALP and GGT levels. I don't drink at all.

It's just a normal outpatient visit so you won't be kept in.

Had height and weight checked by nurses and then given a Fibroscan. It felt just like gentle taps to abdomen where the liver is. It measures how firm your liver is. If it is too firm it will mean there is a problem. Mine was fine.

Saw hepatolgist who asked about medication I'm on. Some medication types can be toxic to the liver. Again fine.

I have had some more specific blood tests and am waiting for the results and to see what the hepatologist says.

So please don't worry too much about the appointment.

BikingBeatrix Sat 09-Mar-19 18:14:13

I agree but would add he/she might ask about family history of liver and bile duct problems. Might also ask to examine/feel your belly round about your liver. If it hurts or feels tender when they press, do mention it as that helps build the picture. It’s likely on the day the hepatologist will give you an idea of what they think it is. Remember to ask if you don’t understand anything. I hope it goes okay, OP.

Cockadoodledooo Thu 16-May-19 13:17:18

Totally forgot to say thank you to you both, apologies blush
On my way to appointment now, chauffeured by dh who cancelled his trip as he didn't want to be 3500 miles away if it's bad news, bless him.
Apprehensive but reassured by your responses, thanks. Hoping he can get to the bottom of why I feel how I do and maybe get a plan to help me start feeling better.

OP’s posts: |
Lsmummy1 Mon 06-Jan-20 21:50:46

I know this is an old thread. But I wondered how you had got on? My OH has just been referred to liver department after an ultrasound showed fatty liver disease. At his first app the consultant said she would send him for a CT scan as his liver also looked inflamed. I hope you got on ok

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »