Talk

Advanced search

Brugada syndrome

(3 Posts)
Hot4Holes Sat 02-Mar-19 18:02:23

Has anyone got any experience of this syndrome?
My sister is going to be tested for it and is urging me to go to. From what I have read there is not much they can do about it if you do have it? Would you bother going for testing or live in ignorance?
How do they test, is it just through an ECG? What happens if they do the ECG but don’t find anything, does that mean you could have it but they couldn’t see it?
I’m feeling very anxious about this. I would really appreciate any advice from anyone who has experienced this.

TheWitchCirce Wed 03-Jul-19 21:03:07

I've just seen this, I don't know if you are still around but I have brugada syndrome and am happy to talk.

boble1 Fri 05-Jul-19 09:44:38

Hi

My sister also has Brugada.

They test you using a normal ecg and then if the Brugada pattern is not seen, they will put the leads up higher to see if that makes a difference.

You will then have an Ajmaline Challenge. They inject you with Ajmaline to see if this brings out the pattern.

There's a long list of medications you should not take, if you get a fever, you need to bring it done straight away.

They may gene test your sister but they only find the gene in 30% of cases.

If you have the spontaneous pattern on the ecg, you'd probably be offered an ICD.

As it's hereditary, it's best to check especially if you have children and then you can ensure fevers are controlled and medications avoided.

Have you been tested yet?

x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »