Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

New baby and I'm falling to bits!!! HELP!

(10 Posts)
SurferRosa Sat 07-Jul-07 08:52:09

Since DS2 was born nearly 4 weeks ago, I've been really, really unhealthy. I guess it's lack of sleep, stress etc. but even so I'm appalled at the state I'm in!

First managed to get a sore throat/cold type thing, which I still have 10 days later and it's getting worse...hurts to swallow, etc.

Closely accompanied by earache, toothache, conjunctivitis - which I've never even had before, and now the baby has it - and the final straw was last night, when I started having intense pain 'down below' and a temperature. I was so scared and still don't know what caused it, my whole insides ache today like I've strained all the muscles or something - is that possible?

I know things take a while to be normal again after a baby, but although I've been going for walks etc. I didn't feel uncomfortable at the time, so didn't think it was 'overdoing' things...
perhaps I'm wrong.

Off to get antibiotics this morning in case it's a uterine infection, as not sure - the pain was awful, lasted about an hour, I thought it might be constipation? But I've never felt that sort of pain just from needing a poo!

Sorry for the TMI element but can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks x

Leati Sat 07-Jul-07 09:06:55

Hmm. I think you should go see a doctor. In the mean time sleep alot and drink plenty of fluid. Go see a doctor.

MunchiesMama Sat 07-Jul-07 09:15:51

I would ask a MW to check you out. Let us know how u r doin xx

SurferRosa Sat 07-Jul-07 09:34:56

Thankyou - I rang the out of hours doc last night but they didn't seem to be able to diagnose over the phone. I'll start the antibiotics in case though, and if the pain gets bad again I'll go and see someone to be checked.
Doesn't seem quite right iyswim.

Is it normal to be so run down after having a baby though? Prob doesn't help that I have a four year old and no partner

Defnitely overdoing it on the laundry front at least

SurferRosa Sat 07-Jul-07 09:36:33

Btw they did suggest I might need a scan next week - just to make sure nothing left after baby was born. I think the membranes were ragged. Which is why I was so worried I think

lulumama Sat 07-Jul-07 09:39:16

honey

i bet you are not getting a chance to take care of yourself are you?

need to eat well, and rest ( yeah ,right! ) when you can

can your doula help at all, if she is a trainee , she might be willing to lower her hourly rate to get the experience?

4 weeks is not a long time after having a baby, to expect to feel normal..but sounds like you have been unlucky actually getting poorly and having a toothace too!!

try to eat well, and i would definitely take the antibiotics, especially if things not right in the fanjo region

what is your loss like? still bleeding?

Weegle Sat 07-Jul-07 09:55:49

Congratulations on your little one!

One of the biggest surprises to me and my group of baby friends was no one told us before birth just how often you would be ill in the first year. You are run down, tired and have a baby who easily catches bugs so brings them home. I'm afraid you are likely to get more colds than you are used to, if you're mixing with other little ones you're likely to get conjunctivitis too, and then at some point tummy bugs start too! I don't mean to sound negative but if someone had told me this was completely normal I would have chilled out about it a bit more! But the pain/temp certainly sounds like you should be checked over. Don't forget it is very early days - you should still be focusing on R&R as much as poss, give your body a chance to get back on track.

All the best and hope you feel better soon.

funkimummy Sat 07-Jul-07 10:12:05

Oh yes, I had tonisilitis 3 times in the first year my first child was born!

Take extra special care of yourself and do get to see your Doctor.

Plenty of vitamins and early nights (where possible of course )

SurferRosa Sat 07-Jul-07 10:20:36

Hi, thankyou so much girls - I feel a bit less panicky now! Glad to know it's fairly normal...

Lulu Thankyou sweetheart. Loss is still on and off bleeding, mainly sort of lighter colour now though. So at least I'm not losing much in terms of that, I think if it were serious I'd be bleeding a lot more?

I am living on biscuits (and spatone)...not surprising I'm ill, is it?!!

Slowly getting it all together though. I guess it is quite early days. Morning is wiser than evening and all that

daisyandbabybootoo Sat 07-Jul-07 10:38:23

Rosa...congratualtions on your LO and sorry you're feeling so rough. My LO is 4.5 weeks and I've been the same, I've got a sniffle and a sore throat and earache. I'm trying to eat as much healthy stuff as I can and keeping things like cold meats and salads in the house so I don't have to worry too much about cooking.

try some spatone or dried apricots to nibble on for iron absorption and get some lactulaose from the pharmacy...its very gentle on constipation.

...and see the doctor just to be on the safe side

In the meantime, come and talk to us on the June post natal thread and you'll see you're not alone in these symptoms, and for some moral support

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now