Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Skin tag removal?

(15 Posts)
Pannacotta Thu 05-Jul-07 22:18:27

Have got a few small skin tags from when I was pregnant and know you can tie them so the blood supply dies and they sort of wither away.
Anyone know the best thing to tie them with, presume ordinary thread is too soft?
(Know you can have them removed but can't see myself ever getting round to this...)
TIA

luciemule Thu 05-Jul-07 22:21:37

I found out a way by accident - I had lots at one point before I had children around my neck and found myself fiddling with them throughout the day, which somehow managed to turn them black and then they just dropped off.
I'd be wary about tying them as a friend once asked for a piece of my long hair to tie off a wart on her little finger. However the hair got entangles and it got infected and she had the nerve to blame me 'cause it was my hair!
Perhaps your skin tags are bigger than mine were?

WigWamBam Thu 05-Jul-07 22:21:58

Have used ordinary sewing thread myself - you have to tie it really tightly, which can be painful for a few seconds, but after that it's fine. Cover with a plaster and leave for a couple of days.

MollyCoddle Thu 05-Jul-07 22:22:29

great advice here

LittleBoot Thu 05-Jul-07 22:22:31

What are skin tags?

fruittea Thu 05-Jul-07 22:22:44

you must see rcent thread on performing own bum surgery ... hold on... link coming...

fruittea Thu 05-Jul-07 22:23:24

beat me to it Molly!

PussyAmour Thu 05-Jul-07 22:23:43

hair!!! gross.
my MIL is a nurse and reckons you can tie them off with catgut?
is this readily available?
I have skintags under my boobs and the doc said they would be sore if removed, so Im open to trying tying and reporting findings on here...someone please join in if youve done it successfully? what did u use??:

Pannacotta Fri 06-Jul-07 10:29:17

What is catgut? Is it the stuff they use for string instruments? Sounds painful...

PussyAmour Sun 08-Jul-07 19:23:26

hmmm MIL def. said catgut, and she's a midwife, so do think she is trustworthy...but sister did play the cello in school, and pretty sure catgut was involved somehow with that...

cornishpasty Sun 08-Jul-07 20:04:53

I removed one in my armpit with ordinary sewing cotton. Didn't take too long and was only a little uncomfortable as it died.

pooter Mon 09-Jul-07 00:43:46

Hi Pannacotta,
I had an annoying skin tag on the back of my knee a few years ago, and i tied a piece of cotton around it. Big mistake. It went black and gooey and clung on to life, so i tied another piece around it, but tighter, which hurt - more gooeyness ensued and finally it dropped off, leaving a sore bit. (i think the 'stalk' was quite large) Anyway - a few months down the line it grew back! Finally plucked up the courage to go to the docs, he used local anaesthetic, lopped it off in 3 seconds - never hurt at all, and has been absent ever since! go to the doctors!!!

SofiaAmes Mon 09-Jul-07 05:55:02

Just go to your gp and get them to remove it. Our gp does a monthly skin tag surgery (totally serious). They slice it off with a really really sharp knife and you don't even have to have local anesthic as it really doesn't hurt (though I'm sure they'll give it to you if you want). This is the wisest and most risk free method of getting rid of them.

satine Mon 09-Jul-07 07:24:35

A local beauty salon here will remove them - they zap them with some electronic device which basically burns them off.It is quite uncomfortable for half and hour or so afterwards but they fall off quickly and don't seem to return.

I once went to see a consultant dermatologist, though, about a mole that had changed. He looked at the mole and declared it harmless and then said "Right! What else can we get rid of for you, then?" I thought he'd be far too important to bother about skin tags but he was perfectly happy removing all kinds of minor stuff!

jammygoddess Wed 19-Oct-11 16:21:59

My 5 yr old charge has just fallen against the side of the (metal) slide, and a little wart under her nose has been bashed off! After the tears and blood subsided, I am left wondering what the best course of action is...don't really want to bother her mum, but can't find any relevant help on-line...any warty stories or tips please!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now