Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hand foot and mouth??? Anyone

(15 Posts)
alibobins Thu 05-Jul-07 19:08:05

Think ds may have this he's had temp and sore throat and now three little ulcers have appeared in his mouth

Is there any treatment how bad does it get?

tortoise Thu 05-Jul-07 19:13:50

Hi.
My Dc had this last year. mouth ones get very painful and my DD didn't eat much for a few days.
No treatment other than calpol for the pain.

I hope DS feels better soon.

Tutter Thu 05-Jul-07 19:14:40

afraid ds had it bad last year

worst was ulcers int he mouth - stopped him drinking, eating, using dummy

you have my sympathies

about a week iirc

alibobins Thu 05-Jul-07 19:21:38

Could it be something else??
If it is this when do the spots come.

He is just dribbling constantly

TheDuchessOfNorks Thu 05-Jul-07 19:23:47

My friends DD has this at the moment. Her mouth is full of little blisters, she has several red spots/blisters up the back of her legs but only one or two red spots on her hands.

It is very contagious. Her GP has put her on antibiotics. She is dribbling for England. As other posters have said, they go off food for 2/3 days, she is drinking but mostly taking liquid on in the form of ice pops!

Her sleep is also affected. She's had it since end of last week but was much happier today so about a week is spot on.

Best of luck with it.

TheDuchessOfNorks Thu 05-Jul-07 19:26:27

Should clarify my 'very contagious' line - mostly in the under-4s, friends DD hasn't passed it on to siblings, parents etc.

alibobins Thu 05-Jul-07 19:30:06

What the abs for do i need to go to gp?

Well this all started yesterday so is there worst to come

lisasimpson Thu 05-Jul-07 19:32:08

my 14 month old had this recently and the blisters came up on the bottom first and then all over legs and feet. Nothing much on the hands but def. sore mouth and was dribbling loads. Was diagnosed by doc. as nappy thrush I was under the impression there was no treatment for it as it is a virus, but some doctors do give out ab's. It is very contagious (all of us caught it) so had to keep him out of nursery - again!

midnightexpress Thu 05-Jul-07 19:36:27

My two have both had it recently. Neither of them had spots in mouth but little 'pinprick' like spots on arms and legs, hands and feet. DS1 got off pretty lightly, but ds2 had a fever for a day or so. Lasted about 5 days I think, so it may not be too bad if you're lucky. As the others have said, it seems to be very contagious - loads of kids at ds1's nursery had it and it seems to have spread around town too, from what I've heard from other mums.

Unfortunately it can recur I think, but no real treatment apart from calpol for a fever.

Hope ds feels better soon.

Veggiemummy Thu 05-Jul-07 19:42:09

my ds had it come and go for a couple of months but wasn't unwell with it, just spots around the mouth hands and feet. maybe in the bad but short cases the Gp gives AB's because of secondary bacterial infection.

alibobins Thu 05-Jul-07 21:55:56

Well he went to bed at 7.30 and has already woke up twice crying
looks like i'm in for a good night.

Washersaurus Thu 05-Jul-07 22:05:15

Strangely, there has been an outbreak of it for 2 months in the room at nursery where DS goes, but he has successfully avoided it so far.....I on the other hand managed to catch it despite everyone telling me that adults rarely do!

It wasn't very nice I can tell you, especially the mouth ulcers. Fortunately, it only lasts for a few days so I was over it pretty quickly. I didn't pass it on to anyone else (adults or children)

funnypeculiar Thu 05-Jul-07 22:09:28

fwiw, alibobbins, they can have it lightly - ds had it and didn't even notice - good luck for tonight!

alibobins Fri 06-Jul-07 18:50:01

Not sure if he has got it or is just run down

he's been clingy but no spots on hand or feet but lots of little spots around mouth and some on his legs.

Scree Fri 06-Jul-07 19:21:51

DD had this a couple of weeks ago and it was AWFUL, although thankfully worst bit was less about 48 hours. Someone on here recommended ice cream, which REALLY REALLY helped. I couldn't put anything in her mouth, but if you can do try teething bonjela. Rushing off now but hth later if needs be. Hope all ok. Know lots of littlies who didn;t have any symptoms if that's at all reassuring

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now