Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How does it feel when you break your foot?

(10 Posts)
chocohead Thu 05-Jul-07 14:25:36

I am probably over reacting but just been doing the garden step off a bottom step straight into a hole , twisted my foot and fell over

It really hurt (to put it politely)

Anyway now have some ice on, it hurts , can put some pressure on but not full

star1976 Thu 05-Jul-07 16:21:26

It bloody hurts!

Broke my foot (and tore ligaments) a few years ago and couldn't move it at all, couldn't put any weight on it.

Had bag of frozen veg on it overnight (couldn't go to A&E as DD was in bed) and it was just as bad in the morning so went to A&E then.

Even if you have not broken it but have torn the ligaments it is still extremely painful (so the hospital said anyway) so if doesn't improve in a couple of hours (if you can last that long) go to A&E.

However having said that, it is your foot and if you think it needs it, go now! HTH

Mine hurt enough to make me scream in pain and cry. It swelled up and went black.

aDad Thu 05-Jul-07 16:26:25

Sorry to say this is how my friend did it twice - stepping badly on a step.

V large swelling appeared despite ice pack - like half an orange on top of his foot. He knew it was broken but didn't want to do A&E on a Friday night, so hobbled in the next day for plastering.

Hope you haven't!

star1976 Thu 05-Jul-07 16:26:42

Yeah Stripey Knickers ! I cried when I did mine too.

Tatties Thu 05-Jul-07 16:34:22

I broke a bone in my foot and hobbled around for a week before getting it checked... I would get it seen to asap if I were you

charliecat Thu 05-Jul-07 16:36:44

Mine made me cry, in front of loads of people and the hurt, didnt go away, could stand on it at a certain angle, worked for 3 weeks without getting it seen too and when i did eventually get to the doctor, because it didnt stop hurting he said id broken a bone.
Go get it seen.

chocohead Thu 05-Jul-07 20:50:13

Thanks for your replies

Just got back from A&E turns out no broken bones, they think torn ligaaments, plenty of painkillers !!!!!

Thats the last time i cut the grass !!!

My DD will wonder whats been going on in the morning, when i have to go down the stairs on my bum

LIZS Thu 05-Jul-07 21:10:41

ouch Don't like to worry you but it took about a dozen physio sessions over 10 weeks to get mine functioning properly again and it niggles even now (injured before Christmas , if you search you'll find my thread !). I rested it over Christmas then walked/drove and it seized up, could barely flex it . Apparently I had a high ankle sprain which can take longer to heal .

aDad Fri 06-Jul-07 08:35:52

At least you're not in plaster, right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now