Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scarlet Fever-Can you have it twice?

(6 Posts)
Tiggiwinkle Thu 05-Jul-07 10:22:26

My DS5 (aged 8) had Scarlet Fever about a month ago. He had 10 days antibiotics and was back to normal, but started complaining of a sore throat again yesterday.
This morning, he has got up with a fever of over 100 and his throat is very sore. His tongue has the white coating with red bits (strawberry tongue) that you get with scarlet fever in the early stages. His face is flushed but there is no rash as yet.
The thing is, I did not think you could get it twice. Anybody out there had it twice-or know of someone who has?
I will take him to GP later, but our surgery is one of those where you have to ring at eight to get an appointment (they only make them for the same day) so may not get him in today.

lljkk Thu 05-Jul-07 10:25:50

It's just one of the Strep bacteria, isn't it? I would have thought you could get it twice, like most bacteria infections.

ernest Thu 05-Jul-07 10:34:29

I have definitely read that you can't get it twice, but my ds's have had it all at least 3 times each, usually when we go on holiday, and one after the other, so it drags on as long as possible. So yes, you can. As he sounds like he does have it again, he will need anti biotics, and it is easily treatable but can lead to more serious complications, so givent he circs, would your surgery not see him as an emergency patient?? It should be treated asap. Seems bizarre and sad they wouldn't, but then I am spoilt with our drs.

LIZS Thu 05-Jul-07 10:37:56

You cna certainly get Strep throat more than once. ds got a similar rash again about a month after having Scarlet Fever.

Tiggiwinkle Thu 05-Jul-07 10:45:18

Ernest-yes, I have read on a couple of sites that one attack confers immunity, but I suppose it is the same as chicken pox etc-you usually dont get it again but it can happen! I thought perhaps someone may have had experience of it- I will definitely get him seen by somone today, as I am aware of the complications.We have a walk-in centre fairly close by so if I cant get him in at GPs I will take him there.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 05-Jul-07 16:28:52

You can get it twice. Did he have anti-b's the first time Tiggi?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now