Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is the best thing to do for earache?

(9 Posts)
LoveMyGirls Thu 05-Jul-07 07:24:01

dd1 (7) is complaining of earache, i've given her calpol, but she is still in pain, saying it hurts to swallow etc.

What will the doctor do if i take her?

TIA

MrsBadger Thu 05-Jul-07 07:33:26

look in her ear with an otoscope and see how inflamed it is, then may prescribe antibs, may not

has she a fever?

FrannyandZooey Thu 05-Jul-07 07:33:36

You need to go to the doctor, earache is unpleasant and if left untreated can lead to burst eardrum which I can tell you from experience is v nasty and painful

doctor will examine ear and possibly prescribe anti-biotics

LoveMyGirls Thu 05-Jul-07 07:42:56

no shes fine other than her ear aching, she was complaining yesterday but still carried on as normal.

I will book her an appointment for today then.

Will she be ok for school because they are all meeting their new teachers today and i don't want her to miss out? Am i better to take her before school and make her a bit late or should i book it for after school?

MrsBadger Thu 05-Jul-07 09:36:26

if she's ok in herself I'd say after school (am impressed you get a choice)

LoveMyGirls Thu 05-Jul-07 11:51:51

Have to say our docs are very good, you can't always get a choice but most of time you do.

Managed to get through at 8.20am they said what time can you get here for? i said in about 10mins they said we can't do it that quick but how would 8.50 suit you? I said that's great so by 9.30 she was in school and had some drops in her ear, she went off happy as larry.

beansontoast Thu 05-Jul-07 11:54:37

ah poor love

put something warm on it...(eg rest her head on a hot water bottle with a towel on it)..really it works for me

beansontoast Thu 05-Jul-07 11:55:42

derrr i hadnt read the last post

LoveMyGirls Thu 05-Jul-07 12:37:22

Beans thanks will try that if she is still in pain at bedtime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now