Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just had the most horrible sensation as I was trying to get to sleep

(22 Posts)
Pinkchampagne Thu 05-Jul-07 00:11:17

It kind of felt like a physical build up in my head that intensified to a point it felt like my head was going to explode!
My heart was (& still is!) pounding really fast, and I'm now scared to try to sleep again incase it happens again, even though I'm really tired & have work in the morning.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Does it sound like a panic attack?

ProjectIcarus Thu 05-Jul-07 00:12:39

panic attack def.

herbal tea and relaxation exercise might help.

were you brooding? or trying v hard not to?

frapachino Thu 05-Jul-07 00:12:40

Yes I get all manner of weird going to sleep sensations -i'd say you are over tired and it was an adrenalin rush try not to worry.

Pinkchampagne Thu 05-Jul-07 00:12:51

It was really frightening

Carmenere Thu 05-Jul-07 00:13:26

It could well be a panic attack, that was my first thought. Horrible aren't they? Have a cup of cammomile/peppermint tea, it might help.

ProjectIcarus Thu 05-Jul-07 00:13:39

yes. I have had one. V v scary. a bit out of control.

jamDOHnut Thu 05-Jul-07 00:14:13

yes ive had that - i would say stress too

Pinkchampagne Thu 05-Jul-07 00:15:13

I've had a lot on my mind over the last couple of days & have done lots of crying (although today was better than yesterday), so I guess it may be related.
I've had panicky sensations before, but this one was very intense & I thought I was going to throw up.
I feel better now I'm fully awake again.

Pinkchampagne Thu 05-Jul-07 00:17:26

Must try & get back to bed or I'll never get up in the morning, but I'm scared!

totaleclipse Thu 05-Jul-07 00:17:29

I was once woke up paralised, could'nt even open my eyes, it was very scary and lasted about 10 minutes, it was about midnight, I could'nt even shout, I remember trying to move my arm to bang on the wall so dh would hear me(he was watching tv) it was horrible, I actually thought I was dying.

Twinklemegan Thu 05-Jul-07 00:18:51

Oh god, that's that sleep paralysis thing isn't it? It must have been terrifying.

Pinkchampagne Thu 05-Jul-07 00:20:05

How awful, TE, you must have been totally petrified!
These night panics are very frightening aren't they?

totaleclipse Thu 05-Jul-07 00:20:16

Oh never heard of that, so I'm not a freak

jamDOHnut Thu 05-Jul-07 00:21:16

shift workers get it I understand - apparently v scary

Pinkchampagne Thu 05-Jul-07 00:21:49

Didn't know peppermint tea helped. I don't have any, but will get some in for next time!

Pinkchampagne Thu 05-Jul-07 00:22:37

Glad to hear it is kind of normal & not just something wrong with me

Pinkchampagne Thu 05-Jul-07 00:24:33

Going to attempt to sleep again now, although I'm very nervous. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again!

ProjectIcarus Thu 05-Jul-07 00:44:22

<pats shoulder>

Pinkchampagne Thu 05-Jul-07 07:44:38

Managed to sleep in the end without having another big panic. I had build ups, but kept waking myself up before they came to anything.
I am very tired this morning!

glitterfairy Thu 05-Jul-07 07:51:03

Take care Pc I am having sleep trouble as well at the moment and can really identify with you. Have a good day and get some herbal tea. I woudl drink camomile or fennel myself.

Pinkchampagne Thu 05-Jul-07 20:43:37

Sorry you are having sleep problems, GF. it is horrible isn't it, and you feel so awful when you're tired the following day.

I have had these night panics before, but last nights one was very intense & scary, and you feel like something awful is about to happen to you, even though it only lasts for seconds.

Never been much of a herbal tea drinker, but I will get some in if they help.

Pinkchampagne Fri 06-Jul-07 00:17:00

Keep getting this again, it feels like I'm going to have a heart attack or something, although I know I'm not. I am frightened to try to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now