Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mooncups - how many people use them and how practical are they

(71 Posts)
cba Wed 04-Jul-07 23:48:18

i have seen the term mooncup mentioned several times so i have just searched for them. Ok, are they easy to use, what about the long pipe bit at the bottom that you trim? How far up do they go?

Sorry if this seems a bit ignorant but I had never heard of them till joining mumsnet and I am seriously thinking of giving them a go.

zubb Thu 05-Jul-07 00:00:49

very easy to use - just search using 'mooncup' and you will see lots of threads on them.

lemonaid Thu 05-Jul-07 00:02:35

It varies from individual to individual. Personally mine is most comfortable and least likely to leak sitting quite high, so I haven't had to trim anything off the stem. They take a couple of cycles to get used to and to get the knack of inserting and removing but once you do they are sooooo practical and easy to use. On the one occasion since I've used them that I've had to go back to tampons (we were away on holiday and I had a wacko short cycle) I spent the whole time thinking "I can't believe I used to do this every month" -- it was so much messier and more uncomfortable than my Mooncup.

tribpot Thu 05-Jul-07 00:03:05

Well worth a go, obviously they don't go that far up due to the physical constraints of the human body!

Califrau Thu 05-Jul-07 00:17:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Thu 05-Jul-07 00:22:19

[whispers] I assasinated mine ... I hated it with a passion.

cba Thu 05-Jul-07 11:35:39

thanks ladies, think i will order one or two? and give it a go

RubyRioja Thu 05-Jul-07 11:37:25

FAb - love it. But, my periods are v heavy atm and so tend to use in conjunction with a pad. Much nicer the tampax, but for me part of the armoury as it were, rather than the replacement I initially thought. ONly need one.

expatinscotland Thu 05-Jul-07 11:37:35

I do!

Love mine.

Took a few cycles to get used to, but well worth sticking it out.

expatinscotland Thu 05-Jul-07 11:37:43

On in .

BBBee Thu 05-Jul-07 11:38:23

i love mine- done two cycles and have the hang of it now and loads of support on here about any questions.

You only need one though - why would you order two?

F&Z oreders them so best to buy through her but there is an offer on somewhere too.

Much more natural - feel more at one with body than ever before.

BBBee Thu 05-Jul-07 11:39:03

lol expat!

ThomCat Thu 05-Jul-07 11:42:01

Never ever thought I'd find myself on a bloody mooncup thread but they are talked about on MN so much I've started to wonder if it's something I need to get into when my periods start again.

Can anyone explain, once it's in, how many times you have to go in and get it out, on average per day.

If you are work and have to empty it, (does that happen?) what do you do?

Why does it take 2 cycles to have to get used to it?

Tatties Thu 05-Jul-07 11:42:51

Definitely give it a go cba. I love mine - as the others have said, it can take a month or two to get used to but it is well worth it. I've never looked back!

hesta Thu 05-Jul-07 11:43:36

only need one, get on fine with it, without wishing to sound 'mother earthish' or totally loopy, helps me to know how much i'm bleeding as I have v heavy periods

yaddayah Thu 05-Jul-07 11:43:55

Only buy one
But make sure you buy one
They're brilliant
On 2nd cycle of using one and had no problems whatsoever

(Having problems with my grammar this morning .. they're would indicate two but there's only one mooncup so why doesn't it look right?)

Tatties Thu 05-Jul-07 11:50:11

TC for hygiene you are supposed to empty and clean at least 4 times a day I think. Depending on how heavy your period is you may need to do it more often. It's not much different to using tampons in that respect.

I can generally avoid emptying it when I'm out, but if you have to, you can take a bottle of water into the loo to rinse or just wipe it with a bit of loo roll. The odd time I have had to empty it without access to a sink, I have just emptied it and reinserted without wiping it - it wasn't 'dirty' and I cleaned it properly at the next opportunity.

purpleduck Thu 05-Jul-07 11:54:42

are they dishwasher safe?

fennel Thu 05-Jul-07 11:55:50

Mine goes through the dishwasher.

I agree it can take a bit of time to get used to them but they're wonderful when you are used to them. very convenient.

moljam Thu 05-Jul-07 11:56:25

i chickened out of ordering mooncup and now use fairy hammocks instead

ThomCat Thu 05-Jul-07 12:46:47

Hmmm, so why do they take time to get used to, what is it that you are having to get used to excatly???

I don't have very heavy periods at all but who knows what'll happen after DC no 3.

I have a feeling if I tried it I'll wonder how I ever used anything as UNsanitary as a sanitary towel or tampax, both of which are pretty bloody gross.

Tatties Thu 05-Jul-07 13:20:16

In my case it was getting used to inserting it properly, and it took a little while to know that it was in the right place and be confident it was doing its job. Removal takes a bit of practice as there's a technique to it. Also getting to know how often you need to empty it. But I didn't find it any harder to learn than using tampons. It's true, though, you do wonder how you could bear tampons before...

lemonaid Thu 05-Jul-07 13:56:56

Agree -- there's a knack to getting it in and out, and while you can get advice on here it's one of those things that you just need practice in doing yourself for it to click. The first few times you're likely to spend some time thinking "Why can't I get this $%@& thing in properly?" or (in a slightly more panicked tone of thought) "Why can't I get this $%@& thing OUT?". And it may take a few goes to work out how far in is comfortable for you.

MatNanPlus Thu 05-Jul-07 14:04:20

Love it.

Have 2 just in case i misplace one as travel alot and cycle never predictable.

Cut all of stem off and placed reasonably high up.

Saved a fortune in oads, knockers and mental worrying.

ThomCat Thu 05-Jul-07 14:34:26

The thought of it and the fiddlying around etc is pretty unplesant but have to say I can see me giving it a go once the damn things start again.

Do you sleep with them in and everything?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now