Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How do they test for Asthma?

(5 Posts)
hadabadday Wed 04-Jul-07 22:19:10

As the title says really, I'm going to the doctor tomorow to tell him of the trouble I have breathing after exercise etc...will he be able to test me for it there and then or is it a faff?

Any chance I could get treatment for it straight away?

Katymac Wed 04-Jul-07 22:22:07

Well you may get medication without a diagnosis

& if it works you have asthma

Piksiminx Wed 04-Jul-07 22:38:08

There isn't a test for asthma.

DontCallMeBaby Wed 04-Jul-07 22:45:49

Not a blood test or anything, but don't they do lung function tests, how much you can breath in and how fast you breath out? I thought that was the reason they can't diagnose asthma in babies and small toddlers, because they can't understand what they're being asked to do.

You might be able to get an inhaler straight off hadabadday, if you're really wheezy/crackly. DH has just been given an inhaler for a chest infection rather than asthma (he is a 'lapsed' asthmatic but I don't think that was a factor).

hadabadday Thu 05-Jul-07 23:48:19

it was/is asthma, got 2 pumps for it today.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: