Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

stammering in nearly 3 year old

(8 Posts)
cazzybabs Wed 04-Jul-07 21:14:20

DD2 has a stammer on some letters, especailly when she is tired. Her pronouncation is not great on some letters - it hasn't really got better over the months we haver been watching. She talks non stop, has a fanastic vocab and is very physical. Should I be worried at this stage? Should I wait for hwe 3 year check or go and see someone now (who?) ????

cazzybabs Wed 04-Jul-07 21:22:48

bump

cazzybabs Wed 04-Jul-07 21:38:51

no-one has any advice...

fryalot Wed 04-Jul-07 21:42:48

I have no advice, sorry.... I clicked on this because I think ds may be starting to stammer. I was thinking of maybe asking the HV for some advice.

but will bump this for you anyway, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in case anyone comes up with any pearls of wisdom

sorry

cazzybabs Wed 04-Jul-07 21:43:49

oh wellk maybe you and I are the only ones with such children on MN.

tribpot Wed 04-Jul-07 21:46:23

ds is similar (aged 2 though). Having said that, he seems to have been better for the last week or so, wonder if it's 'just a phase' as his vocabulary has increased massively all of a sudden.

Is there such a thing as a 3 year check now? I would go to the hv and see what's suggested, you could be referred to a Speech and Language Therapist if you're worried.

gladbag Wed 04-Jul-07 21:49:28

My ds (3.5) has had a stammer, on and off, since he was about 2.6. I mentioned it to my HV about 8 months ago, and she referred us for an initial assessment with the SALT.

I was assured that it's very common, and that children usually grow out of it, but that it is best to get it checked earlier, rather than later. The SALT did general language assessments to see if he had a specific difficulty (maybe with 'word-finding' or sentence structure), to rule out communication difficulties on top of the sound production stuff.

He's currently having a few intensive group sessions, to increase his confidence and really focus on hearing and saying individual sounds, and they are going really well. The parents get sort of speech tutorials while the children play games, and then we do some activities together. They emphasise all the stuff which you should try to do on a daily basis - keeping eye contact with your child as they are speaking, being patient, keeping instructions and questions straightforward and simple etc.

If you are worried I'd recommend speaking to your local health centre/HV and seeing if there is something similar running in your area. HTH

fryalot Wed 04-Jul-07 22:07:29

thanks for the info, gladbag.

hope it helps your ds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now