Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

am i right to keep him off milk?

(6 Posts)
MerlinsBeard Wed 04-Jul-07 11:17:56

to cut a very long story short, DS2 has always had problems in his bowel. was very bloated and hardly ever passed wind. He also found it tricky to actually poo as i think it caused him alot of pain so he stopped himself doing it.

I swapped him from cows milk to goats milk and then from goat's milk to soya milk and have noticed a HUGE improvement. His stomach is now squishy and he isn't bloated. his acid burn like nappy rash has completely gone and although he still struggles a little pooing, i think its more of a habit than anything else.

When i said to the DR today that i had swapped his milk over she basically said that i was creating problems for later on if i started eliminating things from his diet.however, i have a 2 year old that 7/8 week ago would not even pass wind that now giggles like a loony when he 'trumps'. he is happier, in less pain and i can change his nappy without screams.

is it coincidence? or am i justified in keeping him off the milk?

I have to point out that its only milk i have changed. he doesn't eat cheese, and the yoghurts he has are so small that i decided to keep them in anyway. I have also swapped our ice cream to a soya one. we don't have it that often anyway and its much nicer!!

nailpolish Wed 04-Jul-07 11:19:09

i think you have done the right thing

MerlinsBeard Wed 04-Jul-07 11:24:12

ty nailpolish.

and sorry for such a long post!

MerlinsBeard Fri 06-Jul-07 21:24:31

Bumping for more opinions

Tipex Fri 06-Jul-07 21:28:20

sounds as tho it was a bloody good decision and you arent avoiding without substitution, you are being aware of his dietary needs. he can also get calcium from green veg etc etc.
Dairy intolerance is accepted to be massively underdiagnosed. if you want some proper support then ask for a referral to a paediatric dietician. and well done you for giving it a go and thank goodness your poor old DS sounds a bit happier.

MerlinsBeard Fri 06-Jul-07 21:35:31

if we go bck because of the same thing they will refer him to Paeds. its been going on since he was born pretty much. he was labelled a colicy baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now