Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please can some one help my friend and give some advice regarding possible OCD

(9 Posts)
anniebear Tue 03-Jul-07 19:40:38

Her dd was born at 25 weeks, she is now 5

she is registered blind, but does have a bit of vision in one eye

Last year Dyspraxia was mentioned. She has also been told her DD will be about 2 years behind with numeracy and literacy because of her sight problems

But considering everything she is a miracle! and doing realy well

She has a health care plan at School, visual support come in, 1-1 etc

But about 6 months ago her DD started with little things she had to repeat, like putting the light on, she had to do it, if her Mum did it, she would have to turn it off and do it again herself

This was nothing major but it has escalated lots and also she is having really bad tantrums

It is affecting bedtime because the 'rituals' are taking longer. I won't list the things but there are lots of obsessions. She will scream if she doesn't get to do the things she 'has ' to do

The professional's involved have yet to give any helpful advice

My friend is worried , because at the moment her DD's number is 2, so 2 animals to bed, 2 spoonfuls of things etc etc, what if it becomes 3, 4 , 8 etc

My friend would really appreciate some advice form parents who have experience of this and any idea's would be very gratefully received

Thanks so much

newlifenewname Tue 03-Jul-07 19:43:12

It could be OCD I suppose or it could be the sign of a little girl trying to assert herself in a big way. The tantrums aspect might be indicative of the latter.

Not an expert on autism but is that a possibility?

If she has had a lot of input from outsiders then she may feel a lot of pressure and a bit of a spectacle in some ways so my suggestion isn't a far off possibility I don't think.

doughnuts Tue 03-Jul-07 19:45:28

mmm, I can't speak from the point of view of having a child with OCD, but I have it myself and that is one of the obsessional things..however, children do I think like ritual things (security I guess) - I don't want to say it is OCD when it might not be - sorry,that'sprobably not very helpful.

newlifenewname Tue 03-Jul-07 19:47:31

Reflecting on my post, actually that is what OCD is - taking control of one's life in other ways, i.e. being obsessively controlled about miuntiae

anniebear Tue 03-Jul-07 20:01:14

Thanks for your replies

Yes, I suppose she does have a few and have similar triats and she does have Dyspraxia.

No one has ever mentioned Autism and I wouldnt think she had it (not that I am an expert lol)

If it isnt actually OCD, then she is displaying lots of 'signs ' of it

whether it is or not, my Friend is more concerned and wants to know if she should try to discourage the rituals (they are getting out of hand really!) and disrupting family life or just let her carry on with them even though bedtime is geting later, its even affecting the nightime

One person advised her to let her carry on doing them and another has said try to very slowly reduce the amount of times she is doing things for

anniebear Tue 03-Jul-07 20:03:12

I wonder if it is because she is realising now that she is different to all her class mates, she knows she has poorly eyes etc

Maybe it is her way of coping with that?

newlifenewname Tue 03-Jul-07 20:22:51

As someone who had quite a few OCD rituals as a young adult and one or two now, I'd say that gradually reducing isn't going to be effective. I work with families dealing with children's behaviour and as such would always recommend dealing with the cause first and the behaviour itself alongside this. So, in this case, you need to get to the bottom of why this child feels the need for tight control.

In terms of dealing with the actual rituals, perhaps encouraging her to verbalise things would help as would getting her to limit them herself. With OCD, an outsider asking you to stop what you are doing really makes you clong on to the actions more - it is a threat to your being and therefore you need to keep an even tighter control.

Self esteem issues may play a part also.

When I was little I would count things out a lot, touch my light switch a certain number of times, straighten the curtain folds, stretch my arm out in sequences and probably others I've forgotten. I now have obsessiveness about cleanliness at times but not ALL times, and also cannot bear dry skin so moisturise obsessively. Only I know it is OCD, most people don't notice. I think if left alone, most OCD sufferers are aware of their behaviour being away from normal and will try and limit their compulsions as far as possible. Sometimes we might need help though!

mymatemax Tue 03-Jul-07 21:12:37

Have answered on SN thread!

doughnuts Wed 04-Jul-07 11:30:28

newlifenewname - agree with what you have said - if people try to interrupt or prevent or restrict the performing of rituals in any way it can be very frightening and upsetting to the poor child...I think that getting to the bottom of the problem is the key. It might be that her world seems to be a very scary and insecure place ande doing the rituals gives her a feeling of control and safety and some reassurance.
My OCD as a child/young person was a manifestation of the need to feel safe and secure in my house (in my room I'd regularly hide all my things under my bed ) and t o keep everyone safe. I often wonder about the effects of Catholicism on OCD - or indeed any religion with particular rituals - as a child I was aware of the neccessity at Mass to repeat,list,do certain things in a particular way...the wiping of the chalice with the cloth after communion really troubled me ! These days my OCD is largely related to cleanliness and checking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now