Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cosmetic dentistry - anyone taken the plunge?

(12 Posts)
IHateMySmile Tue 03-Jul-07 19:31:02

I really hate the way my teeth look. I always have and it's always affected my confidence. I am seriously considering treating myself to a new mouth for my 35th birthday (not like that one though!)

I think I would need some serious work - my teeth aren't in bad shape health-wise but they are overcrowded, wonky and discoloured. I reckon we're talking veneers, gum reshaping, the works. But it's unbelievably expensive and I'm terrified of dentists anyway.

Anyone got any experience - was it worth it?

IHateMySmile Tue 03-Jul-07 19:43:12

ka-bump

loopylou6 Sat 07-Jul-07 14:12:27

ive had some experiance, i got me some zoom whitening and them some bright white upper caps, please dont be scared of the dentist, i was and this resulted in me hating the way my teeth looked so much that i needed all that work, and do u know what? it was painless i wish i hadnt spent so much time being terrified of them the fear is pointless honest, they are soooo gentle.

anorak Sat 07-Jul-07 14:28:11

Oh dear, I was skimming the active convos quickly and misread your thread title as 'cosmic dentistry'. I was actually sitting here wondering what it was

MissM Sat 07-Jul-07 16:28:43

I had a fixed brace from the age of 31 to 33. I was very self-conscious about it to begin with, but it soon became just part of who I was, and people stopped noticing it. Afterwards my teeth looked amazing - they still do, and I am SO glad I had it done. They weren't that bad to begin with (and lots of people said don't do it), but to me they were a huge deal, and having them fixed made me much happier and more confident. I say go for it - it's a couple of short years and a lifetime of looking fab!

Meglet Sat 07-Jul-07 20:40:10

I had my teeth whitened at Boots several years ago. They did a extra strong dose of whitener in the surgery then I had a kit to use for a couple of weeks when I got home. My teeth were so sensitive it was painful when the air hit them , talking and smiling made me wince for a few days. So I only used it a couple of times, but my teeth were brightened by it. Just use the expensive whitening toothpastes now, much less fuss.

Idreamofdaleks Sat 07-Jul-07 20:43:29

go get a quote
it will definitely improve your confidence

Pannacotta Sat 07-Jul-07 20:46:21

I also had a brace a few years ago (am 36) and it was well worth it. Am going to have them whitened too but not sure if that is ok when breastfeeding.
Go fit it, IMO its def worth it if your teeth bother you.

binkleandflip Sat 07-Jul-07 20:48:23

We've been joking that my dh has sent his dentist on a week holiday with what it cost for his teeth. They werent horrendous, just a bit out of alignment - has cost him best part of £11000!!!! I thought that if you're teeth are generally healthy they dont like doing veneers because that means destroying your teeth without need to - now - this is what dh has had done - so either the dentist got no scruples and went ahead and recommended anyway or the money talked.

Either way, it's a long process that has taken 2 months so far and will be september before his veneers are fitted (cos the dentist on hols and you have to leave a gap between gum shaping etc) But if thats what you want then that is what you should do, definitely.

Have had mine whitened - does leave them more sensitive but much improved.

binkleandflip Sat 07-Jul-07 20:48:56

That should read 6 week holiday - I'm not kidding!

expatinscotland Sat 07-Jul-07 20:49:47

My mother had two tooth implants. They're now done by laser in a procedure that only takes an hour.

It costs A LOT but to her was worth every penny, as it was her two largest molars.

littlelapin Sat 07-Jul-07 20:50:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now