Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

CHICKEN POX - QUICK QUESTION

(6 Posts)
VoluptuaGoodshag Tue 03-Jul-07 12:09:51

My DD has chickenpox. It's not too bad but we have a big family wedding at the weekend. I'm hopeful that the spots will scab by then, some of them already are scabby. However, her little brother is showing no signs. I know the incubation period is about 2 weeks and the patient is infectious 3 days prior to the spots appearing until they scab. So how likely is he to get it and when is it likely to show.

I could go to the wedding alone but I want my wee family with me. It's probably the last chance our whole family will get together as folks live far and wide and people are getting older.

plus30 Tue 03-Jul-07 12:49:01

Hi there. Flippin' chicken pox eh? Such a pain for everyone. My dh got the pox the week before Christmas last year (he's one of the very few not to have had it as a child. The minute we saw the spots we made every effort to keep him away from our dd (21 months) but 10 days later the spots broke on her too. It's very very contagious so it's quite likely that your little boy will also get it. However, if you're only infectious three days before the spots appear then he is unlikely to be infection this weekend - depending on when your little girl's spots came out?! I know how you feel about having your whole family with you but sometimes it's best to air on the side of caution - especially if there are a lot of elderly people at the wedding - who are likely to be enamoured with young children and suseptible to shingles which is very hard on them. Sorry, just realised I've been no help at all. Hope it all works out for you!x

VoluptuaGoodshag Tue 03-Jul-07 12:54:15

Ooooh ta for replying though. Although shingles can be passed on as chickenpox, chickenpox cannot be passed on as shingles so not worried on that count.

At the moment she's bouncing around like there is nothing wrong with all her usual energy. Honestly, it's been like one disease after another in this house since Xmas and I'm fecking fed up with it. DH just phoned to say he's coming home early as he cannot stop shivering. Me and the two kids have only just gotten over some coughing virus that lasted 3-4 weeks.

I blame the mild wet weather. We'll be getting fecking cholera next!!!

Seona1973 Tue 03-Jul-07 13:31:19

my ds got chicken pox just over 2 weeks after dd started with hers. Hers took about 5 days or so to all scab over so your dd would probably not be infectious at the wedding. When did your dd get her spots? Depending how long ago she started hers will give you an indication of when your ds would start being infectious although the incubation period is 10-21 days so you wouldnt have much idea of when his spots would start to show and by then he would already be infectious (normally 1-2 days before spots and then 5-7 days after the spots have appeared or until they have all scabbed over). It is very contagious and that means it is highly likely that your ds will get them soon.

VoluptuaGoodshag Tue 03-Jul-07 20:01:21

She certainly had two on Saturday morning. I didn't think anything of it at the time as we were in the land of midgies so thought she'd just been bitten and scratched them. She's got quite a few now but some are scabbing and others are just starting to blister.

MorocconOil Tue 03-Jul-07 20:23:46

My DD had her first spot on thursday and I am sure she had a few new ones today after 6 days. I'd heard they are infectious until the last spot scabs over.

My 2 DS had them several years ago. They were exposed at the same time, but the first boys spots appeared about 4 days before the second one started with it. I don't think there is anyway of predicting whether your DS will get it. I know of children who didn't get it while their siblings did.

You are just going to have to wait and see what happens

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: