Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Which suncream & insect repellent for two month old???

(14 Posts)
Befsnork Tue 03-Jul-07 11:10:06

Going to ireland and there are midges and could be strong sun... can you suggest best way to make sure LO is protected?

thanks

Befsnork Tue 03-Jul-07 16:34:03

bump

mankyscotslass Tue 03-Jul-07 16:44:49

I'm trying to remember, but I have a feeling most say not to use on under 6mth old babies, just to keep them covered up and in the shade....I had this with my eldest ds, May baby, in a really hot summer.....we lived indoors or under the awnings when out. Used a Protect- a - bub sunshade on the pram. Friends of mine used the full cover Shade - a - babe, which was great when baby was little nut not as the got older...I am sure someone will be along with a better answer soon!

McDreamy Tue 03-Jul-07 16:47:18

I wouldn't bother with a 2 month old. You'd be better off buying one of those sunscreen nets (can't remember what they are called). DS was 5 months when I moved to Cyprus and I didn't use any sunscreen or mossie spray on him until this year (he is now 2) just kept him out of the sun and used nets.

McDreamy Tue 03-Jul-07 16:47:29

Oh and a hat!

McDreamy Tue 03-Jul-07 16:52:16

have a look here

AlbusPercivalWulfricBrianSun Tue 03-Jul-07 17:01:12

Nivea do special baby suncream. Plus Mothercare do great mossie repellent infected bracelets. I bought some for DS when we took him to Egypt at 9 weeks and he didn't get bitten once.

McDreamy Tue 03-Jul-07 17:02:06

You can also get those battery operated ladybird insect repellents to attach to your pushchair, they work too

McDreamy Tue 03-Jul-07 17:03:28

ladybird

Befsnork Tue 03-Jul-07 17:15:29

fabulous! thank you... was hoping there would be something that worked.

KTeePee Tue 03-Jul-07 17:20:12

Where are you going in Ireland? Never had problem with midges myself.... but some sort of insect net might be a good idea as there are generally more wasps there than here. Definitely wouldn't put sunscreen on - keep in the shade - but probably no need to worry about sun this summer!

Befsnork Tue 03-Jul-07 17:31:52

to galway

lol at the lack of need for sunscreen

KTeePee Tue 03-Jul-07 17:34:13

Hmmm, don't remember encountering midges there before - sometimes get them inland - hope you will avoid them.

Think you need to pack fleeces and rainwear as a priority! We have given up on Ireland this summer and are hoping to see some sunshine in France!

Befsnork Tue 03-Jul-07 17:36:04

am off to france the week after . how wise we are!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now