Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recipient of live liver donation going home from hospital

(46 Posts)
WendyWeber Tue 03-Jul-07 10:37:43

I hadn't heard about this before

The son donated 60% of his healthy liver to the father and they are both fine - the op only took place on June 21st.

Fantastic!

FioFio Tue 03-Jul-07 10:40:39

Message withdrawn

WendyWeber Tue 03-Jul-07 10:44:41

Because of pressure on the donor to agree, fio?

FioFio Tue 03-Jul-07 10:46:46

Message withdrawn

WendyWeber Tue 03-Jul-07 10:52:55

I didn't know live lung donation was possible

FioFio Tue 03-Jul-07 10:54:26

Message withdrawn

Kewcumber Tue 03-Jul-07 10:56:13

I have heard of this (and I do agree the pressure could be terrible) but if it was your child needing the transplant (rather than sibling) wouldn't you do it like a shot?

FioFio Tue 03-Jul-07 10:56:41

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Tue 03-Jul-07 10:57:33

And then, also, what if the formerly healthy donor then goes on to develop the same disease him/herself?

expatinscotland Tue 03-Jul-07 10:58:03

I'd do it for my child, but there is NO way I would allow my daughters to do it for me.

None. Zero.

DrNickRiviera Tue 03-Jul-07 10:58:11

God Fio that must have been a hideous position to be put in. (I would have refused too )

Kewcumber Tue 03-Jul-07 10:58:30

interesting link Fio - I see what you mean now by two live donors.

Kewcumber Tue 03-Jul-07 11:00:21

I would do it for my child but agree that I wouldn;t do it for anyone else, I would have to think long and hard about my mum but I suspect she wouldn't let me.

FioFio Tue 03-Jul-07 11:01:21

Message withdrawn

WendyWeber Tue 03-Jul-07 11:01:55

Hm - lungs don't regenerate like the liver, do they? A much bigger commitment. It says "A donor with four lung lobes instead of five lung lobes will have less exercise tolerance for competitive sports" which wouldn't affect the majority of people but it does make you wonder what the long-term effects might be.

Yes, KewC - like a shot. And, like this case, the other way round for many people. The sibling thing is trickier of course; there was a family in the papers recently where one sibling had refused to donate something (kidney maybe?) to another - I think they were estranged anyway but there were some nasty comments.

FioFio Tue 03-Jul-07 11:02:57

Message withdrawn

FioFio Tue 03-Jul-07 11:03:43

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Tue 03-Jul-07 11:06:06

Yes, this is a very serious operation for BOTH parties. And no one knows long-term what the effects are.

Also, if the person who needs the transplant became ill through a genetic disease, what's to say the donor will not also develop this disease and then need a transplant of the organ he/she donated.

There's NO way I could allow my child to take such a risk for me, not to mention the pain.

expatinscotland Tue 03-Jul-07 11:07:00

Sounds like you're better off without him in your life, Fio.

What did he expect you to do with the grandchild of his you were carrying? Did he find her dispensible?

FioFio Tue 03-Jul-07 11:07:50

Message withdrawn

WendyWeber Tue 03-Jul-07 11:08:07

She had one lung transplant though, fio? Was the live donation suggestion after that?

Your dad is really not a nice guy, is he?

FioFio Tue 03-Jul-07 11:11:05

Message withdrawn

FioFio Tue 03-Jul-07 11:12:20

Message withdrawn

WendyWeber Tue 03-Jul-07 11:18:15

Oh please don't feel bad, it's so relevant and really interesting.

I'm sorry if it makes you sad though your sister sounds so lovely

AmandaHugginkiss Tue 03-Jul-07 11:18:37

It's an important issue though Fio. Just because things are clinically possible doesn't mean that we're able to cope with the ethical and emotional fallout.

The pressure on the proposed donor and the person needing the donation, and the rest of the family must be appalling. There's the whole related issue of child donors and whether there can ever really be such a thing as informed consent there.... so hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now