Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

******HELP, ADVICE NEEDED ON LUMP ON DS HEAD!!!!*****************

(11 Posts)
mamabear2b Mon 02-Jul-07 22:42:58

Hi

Could be being a drama queen but have just noticed a little nodule type lump on the back of ds's head. It's about the size of a peice of barley and moves slightly when touched but isn't a bite.

I stroke his head everynight and have never noticed it before, it doesn't seem to be bothering him but now I'm a bit paranoid.
Has anyone else noticed this on their child?

Ds is nearly 15 weeks old

Mistymoo Mon 02-Jul-07 22:47:15

Could it be a sebacious cyst? My dh has them on his head. They are caused by a blockage in the sebacious gland.

mamabear2b Mon 02-Jul-07 22:58:54

Not sure mistymoo, did you have to go to the doctors to get it checked out or is it just something that is there but harmless?

Mistymoo Mon 02-Jul-07 23:02:49

DH has had a few. Some have been removed because they got quite painful and some got infected. Although he still has some on his head at the moment which aren't bothering him. I would get it checked out.

SofiaAmes Mon 02-Jul-07 23:03:08

mamabear2b, you child is 15 weeks old!!! You would not be unreasonable to take him down to the doctors to reassure yourself as to what the lump is. Much better to be safe than sorry. It's not like you are taking a 10 year old to the doctors for a sniffly nose. Go!

Mistymoo Mon 02-Jul-07 23:07:11

look at this

and this

mamabear2b Mon 02-Jul-07 23:08:48

Cheers guys,
I will make appointment tomorrow, would rather the doctor, (bit of a witch to be honest!) told me it was nothing and sent me away with a sigh of 'bloody first time mothers' than him be uncomfortable or in pain, just wanted to check it wasn't one of those normal things you never get told about!

mamabear2b Mon 02-Jul-07 23:12:10

You STAR Misty was just about to disappear in to the Google pit!

mamabear2b Wed 04-Jul-07 14:01:26

Hi all, doubt you will check this but if you do I just wanted to say thanks.

I took ds to doctors and he has an infection of some sort, the doc said the lump was a swollen gland and showed me one on the other side, he said that they will go up and dowm a bit over the next couple of years as most kids infections tend to be ear nose throat at first.

Ds is fine just more sleepy than usual and a little bit ratty.

Thanks for advice don't feel like such a paranoid 1st time mum now!

Mistymoo Wed 04-Jul-07 16:49:10

Glad it's not serious. Thinking back to my ds he had a lump behind his ear for a long time and I was told it was a swollen gland and not to worry.

You will get used to going to the Drs alot - it's part of parenting

Take care.

SofiaAmes Wed 04-Jul-07 16:58:59

Glad to hear that's all it is. With a newborn it's much better to be safe than sorry.
I once got swollen glands (as an adult) behind my ear. They were 3 pea size lumps in a row and I was sure I was dying of cancer until I went to the doctor.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: