Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So I went to the doctors today ...............................

(14 Posts)
mosschops30 Mon 02-Jul-07 17:10:55

for my chest/back pain (which i think is cancer - see paranoia thread).

Anyway have had it for 4 weeks now, and initially thought I had pulled my intercostal muscles which happens regularly but its never lasted this long and is normally cleared by brufen.

So you wouldnt believe what the doctor said:

1) I bet if you were still on holiday you wouldnt have the pain, because people in hot countries dont have as much pain, it could be the weather??? WTF???

2) Are you depressed? Me: 'no why and what has chest pain got to do with depression'. Doctor: 'oh youd be suprised what depression can do to your body'

So i ended up with a blood form, which i will get done in work and will show nothing, and I will have to make another appoitment to see a decent doctor who will at least come up with some decent suggestions. I even asked her to refer me to Bupa so I wasnt even asking to waste NHS money but no

I can't find the paranoia thread - where is it?

You could have anxiety issues without being actually depressed.. like me.

Or, could it be a digestive thing?

mosschops30 Mon 02-Jul-07 17:25:44

shiny are you the same doctor I saw this morning

thread is here

Maybe I am anxious but only because ive got chest pain that is so bad i feel like an elephant is sitting on me and it wakes me up in the night

Twiglett Mon 02-Jul-07 17:26:20

hello .. I feel your pain as I had myself convinved I had ovarian cancer until scan came back clear

I have to say that a blood test will test if there's something going on in your body .. the esr is a general sign of inflammation so if yours is raised they'll know something is going on

may I suggest you use your BUPA for a chiropracter referral because I'll bet you've done something to your spine and are getting referred pain every which way

lulumama Mon 02-Jul-07 17:28:12

depression and anxiety can have physical manifestations, especially anxiety

re elephant sitting your chest feeling...maybe it is a panic thing?

an d cold weather can excacerbate back problems

BUT i would certainly get a second opinion if you are not happy with your doctor

mosschops30 Mon 02-Jul-07 17:30:43

thats a good idea twiglett i never thought about referred pain.

No its not like an anxiety pain which I normally get when i come home from hols because I get stressed with the flight and pull the chest muscles.
I'm not a panic type of person (apart from flying) and dont really suffer with anxiety/panic attacks/depression type things

Twiglett Mon 02-Jul-07 17:32:25

are you asthmatic? any chance your chest is tightening because of an environmental allergen

(try taking an anti-histamine for a few days and see if that helps)

but I would do the chiropracter thing though

mosschops30 Mon 02-Jul-07 17:33:57

no, but i will go back in a couple of weeks to see the tidy doctor and ask about the chiro referral, although not sure I can have chiropractor due to head problem

oh just shoot me now

meandmyflyingmachine Mon 02-Jul-07 17:36:18

I had very bad pain in my chest from a (benign) breast problem.

But that may well be creating a whole new level of paranoia.

Must stress - a completely benign breast problem...

bubblerock Mon 02-Jul-07 17:37:18

Don't you wish we could all just have an annual MOT? I would gladly be knocked out once a year and have a full body and brain scan, blood tests, smear, full dental work, mammogram and any other stuff they wanted to do to me - then I wouldn't be a hypochondriac for the other 364 days

wannaBe Mon 02-Jul-07 17:52:29

I'm guessing from your other thread that you're a nurse? or at least in some way in the medical profession? And that your job exposes you to many illnesses which, given the right simptoms, it wouldn't be hard to convince yourself you were suffering from? It's a bit like reading one of those medical encyclopedias (sp?) and self diagnosing off the back of what's written in there. Did you tell the doctor you thought you had cancer? because if so I bet he's heard it a thousand times before and I bet that 99% of the time there's absolutely nothing to worry about, hence his attitude.

Anxiety can manifest itself in many ways, and if you're not relaxed, this can cause tention which in turn can cause pain. And if you think you're suffering from cancer, then you will be anxious about it, even on a subconscious level. The blood test will say if there's anything wrong, if you're already predicting that the blood will come pack normal then you know deep down that it's nothing serious you need to be worried about.

Try to relax and put all thoughts of self diagnosing out of your head.

KindMum Mon 02-Jul-07 17:53:57

So, the doctor, in his/her educated opinion, thinks there is nothing wrong with you. The blood test will show conclusively that you do not have cancer. Won´t you be happy with that?

If you have no faith in your doctor you need to change to another one. You shouldn´t worry yourself (sick?) speculating about what terminal illnesses you might have.

Nemo2007 Mon 02-Jul-07 17:55:09

He could be saying the chest pains are anxiety attacks?
Also have been told the thing about people in hot countries. I remember once sitting in on someones meeting with psychatrist[obviously in the days when I didnt need one myself..lol] and he told her if she was in India she wouldnt have been depressed as the western worls has too much time on their hands which is why we get depressed!!!!

mosschops30 Mon 02-Jul-07 21:44:05

Blood tests do not confirm cancer, so i dont see how that will help.

Yes am a student nurse so see lots of scary diagnosis' that terrify me.

Bubblerock would love an annual MOT

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now