Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anyone ever heard of this?

(8 Posts)
mrsharrypotter Sun 01-Jul-07 19:38:23

My friends dd (9mnths) has just been diagnosed with an extra artery branching of from the one that takes blood around the body and returning it to the lungs, meaning that the lungs are getting twice as much blood as they should. Has anyone ever heard of this? Does anyone know it's proper name? Has anyone experienced it? He is very lost and I'd like to be able to help him through this difficult time.

Piffle Sun 01-Jul-07 19:41:42

I think that is the pulonary artery so I think it might be called an extra pulmonary artery, do they use a shunt perhaps to sort this out
I vaguely recall somethign about this when dd was in hospital for heart checks one other young child had something very similar.
If not I'm sorry for false info

mrsharrypotter Sun 01-Jul-07 19:45:34

He's a bit shell shocked so hasn't really taken anything in. He does know that she'll be having a keyhole proceedure in about 4 weeks.

Thanks for the info Piffle, I'm googling like mad and any info helps.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 01-Jul-07 19:46:06

Mrsharrypotter - it could be a PDA here. There is another similar defect but the name escapes me at the moment.

There is a very supportive message board at Heartline. I post on there a fair bit as my dd has significant heart problems. Hope this helps.

mrsharrypotter Sun 01-Jul-07 20:02:01

Yes! That's it, thank you, I now know what to google, although that was a very good link.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 01-Jul-07 20:09:54

This site has good simple explanations. Heart House.

chatee Sun 01-Jul-07 20:11:46

i had a pda heart op when i was a baby, in 1970---not many further health problems....xx

mrsharrypotter Sun 01-Jul-07 20:46:17

I like the house idea, makes it very understandable.
It's nice to know you have had no further problems chatee.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: