Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

anyone had surgery on their spine? or know anyone that has?

(13 Posts)
Tiggerish Sat 30-Jun-07 21:19:03

I am having a disc removed and don't know what to expect

whomovedmychocolate Sat 30-Jun-07 21:21:18

Ooh my dad had that done but he's probably quite a bit older than you. He was in his late 50s and had about six weeks of not being able to walk, then over about three months got back to normal.

You get excellent drugs apparently.

He's perfectly fine now unless he decides to do daft things like climbing on the roof.

Good luck!

onlyjoking9329 Sat 30-Jun-07 21:28:53

i have had 2 discs removed,i still have back problems and nerve damage but that was down to not getting the disc removed until four months after it popped out.
most days i am fine.

Tiggerish Sat 30-Jun-07 21:29:48

oj - how long were you out of action for?

onlyjoking9329 Sat 30-Jun-07 21:39:43

i was up and walking the same day, but only to the loo, i think i had to stay in until i could do stairs so 3/4 days i think, was a long time ago about five years ago last one. i did lose some hieght 3inches.

Tiggerish Sat 30-Jun-07 21:42:29

that doesn't sound too bad. I am only expecting to be in for 1 or 2 nights but didn't really ask about afterwards. Just a bit anxious about coping with the dc's

onlyjoking9329 Sat 30-Jun-07 22:11:39

you will need some help for a while.
make sure you continue with the anti inflamatries, i finished the ones they sent me home with and then was in agony nobody told me i needed to get some more.

Tiggerish Sat 30-Jun-07 22:19:09

how long before i will be able to drive?

onlyjoking9329 Sat 30-Jun-07 22:42:36

don't think your insurance will cover you til six weeks afterwards

SaintGeorge Sat 30-Jun-07 22:53:46

When DH had his disc done, we managed to get one of those 'high-seat' chairs from the Red Cross for a couple of weeks. Made it much easier for him as lowering himself into a normal chair was almost impossible for awhile.

onlyjoking9329 Sat 30-Jun-07 22:56:08

also we got a plastic chair for in the shower, plus we had grab rails fitted

susue Sat 30-Jun-07 23:03:56

Hi, my brother had 1 disc removed and 2 fused together. He was only in hospital for 3 days but was off work and didn't drive for 6 weeks. He says the op hasn't got rid of all of his back pain but it's improved it alot and he's glad he had it done. Before the op he couldn't work, didn't sleep much and couldn't get comfy either sitting or standing for more than 10 minutes, so it's a definite improvement. Good luck with your op, take care,

Tiggerish Sun 01-Jul-07 12:28:17

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I need to be much more realistic about the effects of the op. I kind of thought that I would be fine within a few days. Good idea about the chairs, I'll look into it.

Good point about the car insurance oj. Hadn't thought about that at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: