Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Tiny baby with sore bottom...HELP!!!!

(12 Posts)
SurferRosa Sat 30-Jun-07 17:02:35

My little one is 3 weeks old and has had a sore bottom for about a week...have switched back to cloth nappies which has stopped it getting worse, and been using sudocrem but he still has a little raised bit of broken skin, about 2cm long. It doesn't seem to be healing up.

What should I do, poor thing must be sore

Enid Sat 30-Jun-07 17:06:42

no wipes

warm water and cloths only

vaseline or bepanthen is brill (makes a barrier to stop wee irritating it while it heals)

Enid Sat 30-Jun-07 17:07:06

leave him without a nappy if you can

change frequently

TaylorsMummy Sat 30-Jun-07 17:07:25

metanium is very good

SurferRosa Sat 30-Jun-07 17:10:34

Tried metanium, no joy...will try vaseline...am doing the warm water on cotton wool thing, I think it was my laziness using wipes and disposables for a day or two that started it

Mind you the HV told me to because of his belly button! So I think I'll blame it on her

It's just this poor little bit where the skin won't heal over.

Will try nappy free time as well.

SurferRosa Sat 30-Jun-07 17:10:58

Thankyou, btw!!!

RBH Sat 30-Jun-07 17:12:27

Kamillosan is really good as well. Usually works within a couple of days. Hope he is better soon.

LadyK Sat 30-Jun-07 17:13:57

Sudocrem is vile- always seemed to make my two worse! Try olive oil after he is all cleaned up. Just rub on a thin layer (don't douse him like he's about to be cooked ) and put on the nappy. I know it sounds a bit weird, but it is amazing stuff- just make sure it isn't infused with anything, like chili or lemon...

And I agree with Enid, if you can get him clean enough without wipes maybe steer clear until he isn't so sensitive.

Don't worry, it will get better!

TaylorsMummy Sat 30-Jun-07 17:16:31

you can also use sudocreme with metanium.a layer of each.might be an idea to take him to the gp if it doesn't improve soon as he's so little

muppetgirl Sat 30-Jun-07 17:20:00

Can you leave the nappy off at all during the day to let the air get to him?
We did this quite often as he was born in March (04) and it was a hot summer.

you can out an old towel on the floor over changing mat...

I would think that a nappy on all the time would make areas quite moist?

Worth giving it a go..

SurferRosa Sat 30-Jun-07 17:20:54

LadyK...cooked!!!!

I will give it a go with the oil, I've heard of it being good before. Tbh I don't like putting creams on as they just cover it and stop it healing...? But Kamillosan also sounds good.

Right, off to get that nappy off!

Thankyou so much. Glad I asked.

saralou Sat 30-Jun-07 17:24:19

make sure he's dried well too before you put the creams on, barrier creams are good for keeping moisture out, but can also lock it in!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: