Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

contraception mirena coils stop your periods

(12 Posts)
glitterati Fri 29-Jun-07 22:37:58

well it did mine - sooooo amazing and i can't recommend it highly enough.
no idea it's there and go from month to month with no hormaones, or other nasties

Quattrocento Fri 29-Jun-07 22:45:05

Tell me more. Start at the very beginning. What is one of these things and where do you get them fitted?

DarrellRivers Fri 29-Jun-07 22:46:00

mirena does have progesterone in the middle of the coil, which stops your periods

expatinscotland Fri 29-Jun-07 22:46:25

The non-hormonal coil does NOT stop your periods.

And there's also a long thread on here - about 900 posts - about a lot of the other nasty side effects many have had from the Mirena coil.

expatinscotland Fri 29-Jun-07 22:47:03

So best to discuss it w/your GP or FPC and see if it's for you.

Progesten, I found out hte hard way, is NOT for me.

quadrophenia Fri 29-Jun-07 22:47:04

not for everyone it doesn't.

glitterati Fri 29-Jun-07 22:47:27

free from the doctor's - takes ten mins to fit and then in a few weeks you pop back for a check
i had two babies and was trying to not have a third by taking the pill but coz i was juggling like we all do kept forgetting my pill. So the doc suggested a coil. was reluctant - they make you bleed really heavily I thought but no!! these new ones are fabbo

glitterati Fri 29-Jun-07 22:48:30

I guess you just have to se if it suits you. I'm deliriously happy!

expatinscotland Fri 29-Jun-07 22:49:09

All birth control is provided free at the point of service on the NHS.

Honestly, anyone considering this or any other form of contraception should speak to the GP or someone at their FPC.

What works for one person doesn't work for another.

quadrophenia Fri 29-Jun-07 22:49:53

I completely agree expat

expatinscotland Fri 29-Jun-07 22:50:55

FWIW, synthetic hormones are not necessarily 'nasties'. It's just that some are more or less suitable for some people.

quadrophenia Fri 29-Jun-07 22:54:44

Absolutely, it seems from here anyway there are many that love the mirena and many that loathe it. Just make sure you inform yourself first and be prepared for the fact that it may not work for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now