Talk

Advanced search

I need different contraception. Experience of a diaphragm??

(21 Posts)
sleepycat Fri 29-Jun-07 21:53:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
NotQuiteCockney Fri 29-Jun-07 21:59:09

Diaphragms work ok, but you have to be reasonably confident fishing about. If you can't wear a mooncup, a diaphragm will scare the bejeezus out of you.

Firstly, the discomfort with condoms. Could that be down to a reaction to the latex? A lack of lube? Or a reaction to the spermicide? It might be worth pinning down the problem, just because it's always good to have another birth control option.

Things that are nice about the diaphragm:
1. You put it in ahead of time, and you're good to go. You don't have to do it just before intercourse. So it makes the whole thing a lot more natural.
2. It's quite tidy - your period 'diappears' during, iyswim.
3. It's free
4. You can go again, without removing and reinserting, but you have to put some more spermicide in.

Things that suck about the diaphragm:
1. There's a fair amount of fishing about involved. Insertion is slightly tricky, until you're used to it - there's a spring in the diaphragm, and it ends up poiking its way across the room quite a bit in the early days. If you think putting a condom on is undignified ... well, this is a whole other planet of undignity.
2. You need spermicide. Nobody uses diaphragms any more, so different brands keep going out of business. Spermicides can be irritating to skin etc, and they smell funny.
3. Nobody knows how to fit them. Well, people do, but fewer and fewer, because diaphragms are so unpopular. So you'll have to find someone to fit it, and expect them to ask you if 72 people can watch the fitting, so they can learn.
4. Doesn't protect against STDs.

sleepycat Fri 29-Jun-07 22:18:22

NotQuiteCockney Fri 29-Jun-07 22:20:39

The spermicide is essential. The diaphragm is just there to hold the spermicide in place, iyswim.

I don't think the man can really feel it - not much, really. It's less intrusive than a condom, certaintly.

sleepycat Fri 29-Jun-07 22:26:21

Quattrocento Fri 29-Jun-07 22:38:24

Well it's years since I used one but they used to be slightly frustrating.

You know how condoms can sort of introduce a lull in the proceedings?

Well a diaphragm is not so much a lull as a mealbreak.

You are bfing anyway?

DarrellRivers Fri 29-Jun-07 22:40:48

yes that can be a problem, but if you remember to put the darn thing in hours before hand, there is no break
however not so good for spontaneous action
and it can be very slippy with the spermicide and also if a little pissed can be tricky to position correctly

foxinsocks Fri 29-Jun-07 22:42:13

if condoms are hurting you, maybe try the latex free ones (or there are ones for those with err sensitive bits)

happyinbluejeans Fri 29-Jun-07 22:45:43

what was the issue with the coil, I know it doesnt suit everyone but it soo suits me, no periods, no pains, no side affects, slight cramping to have it put in but worth it

sleepycat Fri 29-Jun-07 22:56:38

2shoesishappy Fri 29-Jun-07 23:17:59

i presume the diaphragm is the same as the cap. I had one and it was a nightmare(can't use durex as they hurt) I ended up with thrush and systitus(sp) never had before or since. also found the whole "planning" part took the romance out of the situation. have a coil and no pain.

frogs Fri 29-Jun-07 23:21:57

I used the diaphragm for years without incident. Only got pregnant when I left the diaphragm in the drawer at the crucial moment. Was fine. You can put it in ahead of time, as long as it's not hours ahead of time, so in that way it's less intrusive than a condom. The period thing is very handy indeed -- I have occasionally considered having a spare diaphragm to hand just for that purpose.

It's a good method, overall. Maybe not for situations where getting pregnant would be a complete disaster, though.

Aimsmum Sat 30-Jun-07 11:05:19

Message withdrawn

SurferRosa Sat 30-Jun-07 17:16:17

There's a great Yahoo group, if only I could do links...they are radical and hardcore but very useful.

I used one for years, well up to last year when I got pregnant...wasn't using it at the time!!!

Very good though the cream was irritating and is supposed to not be very good for the lining of the vagina. So I stopped using it and apparently it doesn't really increase the risk much at all (surprised me as the general knowledge seems to suggest spermicide is crucial. It's not.)

Getting it out after is messy. But if you stick it in a few hours in advance, you don't need to stop proceedings iyswim.

I really liked being in control of it and it's non hormone based of course, which appeals.

However if it turns out you're allergic to latex, it won't be any good for you.
Worth a try though, good luck!

SurferRosa Sat 30-Jun-07 17:17:20

Also I was using natural family planning so knew when I was 'safe' without it, that was a good combo for me as I hate using anything really...and I like babies a lot...

hellobello Sat 30-Jun-07 19:25:21

I hated it. Although it's not bad once it's in, it's pretty awful to get there. I also had cystitis regularly which was horrible. The spermicidal cream numbs your mouth. I tried some just to see what the boys have to go through if that's what's on the cards. All in all I found it pretty horrible and now have a coil that I don't even have to think about.

satine Sat 30-Jun-07 19:38:40

I used one for years. Pros: non hormonal, which I liked, erm, I didn't get pregnant whilst using it, hmm
Cons: if I hadn't remembered to put it in before going to bed (the days of spontaneous daytime lovin being long past) it was a drag to go and put it in, and worst of all the spermicide gave me almost constant thrush. That's what stopped me using it in the end.

Now I have a coil and it's great. I had a day of mild, period-type cramping after it was inserted but nothing since. And no more thrush!!!

chipmonkey Sat 30-Jun-07 20:30:11

Dh used to be able to detect mine, when it was in. Think it might not have been correctly fitted though.

jellyjelly Sat 30-Jun-07 22:05:53

can you use a condom and a cap?

mears Sat 30-Jun-07 22:08:14

Forget GP - best place to go is family planning clinic. Doesn't seem to be as much pain associated with Mirena coil - periods are very much lighter too. Family planning clinic has the experts to advise.

chipmonkey Sat 30-Jun-07 23:47:16

jelly, I don't actually know but I imagine it might, you know, squeak a bit!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in