Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ranitidine in pregnancy?

(9 Posts)
Kyte Wed 27-Jun-07 14:19:18

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me....I've got very bad acid reflux in pregnancy (currently 37 weeks), it's now so bad that even being propped up on pillows, taking gaviscon, being careful about food and caffeine doesn't help. At night I wake up to find I've stopped breathing because I've breathed in the acid - so now I'm terrified of going to bed...Doctor thinks I should take ranitidine. Is it really safe to take during pregnancy? I've been completely drug free til now, not even caffeine! Please help.

belgo Wed 27-Jun-07 14:23:39

I have seen it prescibed to pregnant women in exceptional circumstances.

I may be suggesting the obvious, but i presume you have raised the end of your bed?

Kyte Wed 27-Jun-07 14:25:42

Bed isn't easy to raise, but the pillows are doing the same job.

belgo Wed 27-Jun-07 14:29:57

Ok. Have you spoken to your midwife? I have to say, that if your acid is that bad, and your doctor wants to give you ranitidine, then I would take it.

Weegle Wed 27-Jun-07 19:15:33

I was prescribed ranitidine from 30 weeks pregnant and it was my absolute lifesaver. I did some research at the time and it's licensed for use in pregnancy in the US but not UK because the trials haven't included pregnant women so the warning on Zantac (the over the counter ranitidine) which says not suitable for use in pregnancy is basically just covering their own back. I couldn't have coped without it at the end, but I just used it at night to enable me to try and get some sleep. DS fine and dandy!

jellyjelly Wed 27-Jun-07 20:27:03

I used it during the last few days as my reflux got so bad, they also gave it to me just before my section to control acid. It does work. I got fed up of burping gaviscon and i wish it had gone!!!

Elibean Wed 27-Jun-07 22:52:49

Its been used for decades in pregnancy, according to the OB I had recently (needed max dose to control my heartburn, I have a hiatus hernia from previous pregnancy) and is very safe.

I trusted her completely - she's a top OB in a big teaching hospital, and very honest lady: I know she'd have said if she wasn't sure.

And it helped a lot!

Twiga Wed 27-Jun-07 23:00:04

I'm assuming that it's ok as this is what I'll be given the evening and morning before my section on fri as part of the whole routine apparently.

lory Thu 28-Jun-07 10:17:26

Go for it! I have used it for both my pgs and it made a HUGE difference. You will find two dosages, one of 150 mg and the other of 300. I took the last one, and both my boys were absolutely fine, although ds2 had a severe reflux and was on ranidil, gaviscon and losec until 8 mo. Gastroenterologist says there isn’t any link to my taking ranidine during pg. DS1 didn’t have reflux and I took the same dosage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now