Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Birthmark/storkbite when will it fade?

(15 Posts)
ruth2007 Tue 26-Jun-07 21:33:17

Hi

DD is now 10m and still has quite a large flat red mark on her forehead and a small one on the back of her head. Midwife and HV said they were storkbites/angelkisses and would fade to nothing in "a few months".

I don't count 10 months as being a few! Am I being overly concerned or should I talk to the GP?

Any experiences welcome!

Wotznotreallyhere Tue 26-Jun-07 21:35:54

I had a large (about 50p) one on side of face when I was born near my ear. I think it went when I was about 5 or 6 years old.

lemonaid Tue 26-Jun-07 21:43:05

DS is 2.5 and the one on his forehead has faded to the point where I can still see it because I know it's there but I don't think other people would notice it unless it was pointed out. I'm trying to remember now how quickly it faded. I know it was still obvious at 6 months because I remember its being commented on at a wedding we went to (it's never showed up much in photos so it's difficult to go back and check).

Has your DD's mark faded at all or is it still as dark as it ever was?

Wotznotreallyhere Tue 26-Jun-07 21:44:19

Mine was only about half the size by 2ish and gone by 5ish.

Can't be exact as long time ago.

cruisemum1 Tue 26-Jun-07 21:47:38

ruth - when my dd was about 4 weeks old she developed 5 strawberry birthmarks. One on her chest, one on her tummy, one on her back and two on her head. All faded bar the one on her chest which is still very noticeable at age 9. she has just started to get self conscience about it . Teh others faded over a period of around 2 - 3 yrs. hth

Piffle Tue 26-Jun-07 21:52:58

i posted the same question earlier today!

ds is 13 wks and has one on his eye/forehead was told it will go by 18 mths ish but the ones in the hair line never go

Piffle Tue 26-Jun-07 21:54:11

my thead

here

Wotznotreallyhere Tue 26-Jun-07 22:00:15

Try and not to let hem be self conscience about it, hard, but do try. My dd1 has a long 9" scar on her arm (from operations), and she wouldn't wear short sleeved tops, but now 2 years later is not bothered if people see it.

I know it is a different kind of mark, but all the same, it will never fade for her.

DontCallMeBaby Tue 26-Jun-07 22:00:41

Don't know whether 'in an eyebrow' counts as hairline, but that's where mine was when I was titchy. You might be able to see something if I shaved my eyebrow off, but I'm not trying it! It's certainly nothing like it was, even if it is still there.

colette Tue 26-Jun-07 22:04:19

dd had a small one on her forehead and it faded to almost nothing when she was about a year. If I look really hard I can see where it was. She is 8. I am quit nostalgic about it

McDreamy Tue 26-Jun-07 22:06:11

DD had a large one at the base of her spine. I was told it would go within her first year - it didn't. First of all the middle became lighter until she was left with a ring of red and slowly the ring is breaking up and it has nearly gone but she is now 4.

bilblio Tue 26-Jun-07 22:26:29

I had quite a few strawberry birthmarks when I was born, mostly on my head so I can't tell you about them, other than that they're flat.
I also had one on my chest about the size of an old 50p. It went flat by the time I was about 15 months old I think, but was still bright red until I was about 6 or 7 at which point it started fading. By the time I was about 11 it had faded to a couple of red veins which if I look hard enough I can still pick out but no one else would ever notice.

ruth2007 Wed 27-Jun-07 09:10:12

Thanks everyone - piffle don't know how I missed yours! Will go and read it now.

I think the storkbite is different to a strawberry mark (so HV said anyway!). Good to know most fade. I suppose I am anxius because I have a facial scar that I was picked on at school for and would hate her to go through the same.

lemonaid Wed 27-Jun-07 09:14:21

Yes storkbites are different from strawberry marks (on the forehead apparently storkbites are sometimes called "angel kisses" [slightly vomity emoticon])

tissy Wed 27-Jun-07 09:14:25

My dd is 5 and still ahs hers, though they have faded, and only really visible if she has a tantrum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now