Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS (15 months) has a bad rash - GP says dry skin - what can I do?

(22 Posts)
Volume Tue 26-Jun-07 14:48:49

He has had it a few weeks now, I cut out all bath products and it helped a tiny bit but not much. GP said it was dry skin (?) even though it's like a rash, all red and pink blotches surrounding a bigger area of rash. It's spread to his other thigh and his elbows now and down the back of his legs. The GP gave me E45 to put on twice a day but it is doing nothing bar making it a more moisturised rash. Is there anything else I can do to help? Does E45 do a baby wash or something for the bath? When shall I go back to GP?
Thanks

Volume Tue 26-Jun-07 18:56:42

bump?

saralou Tue 26-Jun-07 18:58:50

ds1 gets this... i use aqueous cream, which you can also use to wash with.. then i moisturise 2-3 times a day

it settles eventually!

TheBlonde Tue 26-Jun-07 19:16:14

Sounds like it could be eczema - go back to the GP

MrsBigD Tue 26-Jun-07 19:19:06

hi Volume, defo go back to GP. Sounds like eczema and like your poor ds needs something 'better' than E45. When I took ds to GP with dry skin - nothing even closly as bad as what you describe - she gave him ederma which is a bit guey to put on but doesn't stay greasy for long. I've used it on my 'snake skin' shins as well and found it fantastic.

Hope you find a solution soon

PenelopePitstops Tue 26-Jun-07 19:24:13

volume I had a rash which sound slike this, and I Was told it was dry skin. Eventually it went away but pops up again and again in random places and i still dont know what it is. E45 didnt work!

hope you get an answer!

colditz Tue 26-Jun-07 19:26:37

Superdrug bath oil

It's in a white bottle near the oilatum - about £2.99 a bottle. It is great on my 14 month old boy's skin, which sounds just like your ds's.

colditz Tue 26-Jun-07 19:27:02

It's also good on my lizard shins!

LIZS Tue 26-Jun-07 19:31:35

Balneum Hermal bath is moisturising and gentle.

aviatrix Tue 26-Jun-07 19:32:56

Message withdrawn

mamama Tue 26-Jun-07 19:37:45

AVEENO

Eeek Tue 26-Jun-07 19:40:59

Aveeno! Fab stuff. We're hooked on it here. And porridge oats in a sock or something suspended in the bath water. Makes it lovely and silky and your skin feels wonderful. I do it for myself let alone the ds-es.

Enid Tue 26-Jun-07 19:41:56

no bio washing powder or fab softner [stern]

sounds like dermatitis

Eeek Tue 26-Jun-07 19:44:12

I've a vague memory of someone suggesting white vinegar instead of fabric softener. Am I making it up (sounds a bit unlikely) or is it really true?

Enid Tue 26-Jun-07 19:45:11

just dont use anything

Washersaurus Tue 26-Jun-07 19:46:07

Oilatum bath oil is good (but DS doesn't like using it anymore), Infaderm is good too and makes bubbles (which DS finds much more acceptable)

wulfricsmummy Tue 26-Jun-07 19:49:57

Message withdrawn

greenday Tue 26-Jun-07 19:59:20

My DD has just been diagnosed with eczema as well. What you described is what DD has. My GP prescribed antibiotic cream for the infected areas (Fucidin H cream) and emollient for her bath.

My question to those whose had experience with ezcema is - how long does it last for? Or rather, how long should I wait to go back to the GP, assuming no sign of improvement?

Coolmama Tue 26-Jun-07 20:04:02

cut out bathing to every 2 or 3 days - use just water and then some E45 or Oilatum cream and see if that doesn't help it at all.
I read a great article about a woman who helped her DD dry skin/eczema improve dramatically by bathing only twice a week -

rozzyraspberry Tue 26-Jun-07 20:09:54

We get oilatum on prescription for DS2 and doublebase cream. On prescription so free . The oilatum is great stuff - it goes in the bath and also works as a cleanser so I don't use any other soaps on his skin and this seems to work for him.

You can buy the oilatum at chemists but it's not too cheap so if you can get it on prescription that would be better.

Having 2 ds they kind of need a bath everyday as get really mucky .

Tootiepegs Tue 26-Jun-07 20:15:32

I would agree with bathing them less if poss.My DD had excema from about 4 months old; Dr said it would clear by the time she was one, and although it seemed such a long time away when he said it, he was right! We were prescribed Diprobase cream and hydrocortisone cream (1%) which really helped. Now she has only a tiny patch on her leg which flares up whe she gets hot/sweaty (no fear of that today!) We also found that just using plain olive oil helped aswell!

Volume Wed 27-Jun-07 22:28:34

thanks, I bath everynight but just in water, he loves it but I guess I will cut back to twice a week. Nothing like the pic. in the link, it's like lots of little spots (almost white heads) but they feel hard and reddness all around. What looked like chicken pox type marks on the back of his leg have enlarged now to about the size of 1p I will go back to GP tomorrow or Monday, I really really don't think it's dry skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now